Monday, February 19, 2024

19th February 2024

 Just a short note on my book which has appeared rather mysteriously on Yorkshire Pudding's blog. Well for a start the Fort Knox security behind his Google is so strong I cannot even comment anymore but some criticism of the front cover is called for.




The stars zoom round in a circular manner, and there was never such a B/A barrow with such elaborately curlicued stonework.  IA has got it completely wrong!

Not quite of course contemplating Newgrange in Ireland, there are tell tale signs there, but the modernised stucco outer white wall leaves some archaeologists writhing on the ground in despair at this restoration.  There are stones of course with the great maze pattern exquisitely carved into them.  See below, both from Wikipedia.  The Wiki gives you some idea of the width and breadth of folklore and stories that lies behind this great barrow.

Newgrange in Ireland - restored

Circular motif in front of doorway

AI worries me because it cannot really truly fake anything if the information fed to it is wrong but it can also give an extraordinary  false impression.  It becomes like those 'love' paperback covers, completely over the top, with heaving bosoms and manly chests.

Above my long gone collie are Priddy Nine barrows.  Simple earth Bronze Age barrows thrown up over a period of time.  

So thank you Neil for publishing my book I really am thrilled, though editing has been somewhat frustrated. It also made me remember this area of the Mendips, a rather beautiful place in the West Country and old Moss who accompanied me and always managed to find the right path through gorse or heather and steer well clear of bullocks and sheep.






17 comments:

  1. I like the way you frequently include Moss in your posts - he must have been a very beloved dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was such a clever dog Pat, very protective and sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I can no longer comment on YP's blog. Have a devil of a time trying to comment on some others that were never a problem in the past (so what changed?). At least I can post anonymously on some and add my name at the end. Enjoyed your comparison about AI info and romance book covers...false impressions, indeed! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the programme writers mess around to 'improve' the site but some other things seem to be altered along the way. Actually I find AI worrying, the ability to change things, even people's heads and what they are saying surely takes us down an unpredictable path.

      Delete
  4. Rachel mentioned that using the Chrome browser helps with the login problem, which it did for me, but some problems persisted. However, at the weekend I logged completely out of Google, and then logged back in again, and at least so far have had no problems. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just reappeared Tasker - how magical. There must be a little Google Genie has just noticed our plight. My login by the way always appears as sign in, but I don't have to I just hit the blogger button (even though I have theoretically signed out) and am in straight away.

      Delete
  5. Well done on writing your book. Where do we buy it? Agree the cover illustration slightly OTT - just like Newgrange. My gut feeling was that at Newgrange the white quartz stones (which I believe came from around 40 miles away) had been brought in tribute and in respect for the dead - rather than as a covering for the tomb. I could well be wrong but my gut feeling - to me anyway - is worth listening to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book is still to enter the shops, Amazon hasn't approved it yet Jennie. The Newgrange restoration is far too neat but there was something very symbolic about white quartz. At one stage as well, they talked of a quartz path going to one of the three Hurler stone circles in Cornwall and there is the Duloe small circle of quartz stones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure I would like someone messing around with my real name and A.I. in public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well considering my real name is out there any way Tom I don't think it really matters.

      Delete
  8. Ah, you might change your tune about the editing once the money starts turning up in your bank account from Orinoco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be Andrew but I bet Y/P will hang onto it till the end.

      Delete
  9. It reminds me of the last line of Winnie the Pooh, reworked: 'somewhere in the Mendips a woman and her dog will always be walking'...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something I miss dearly Debby. A cat is not quite the same as out walking with a dog appreciating the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The book cover did not appear "mysteriously" like a gift from Bronze Age deities, it was expertly researched by a team of experienced book cover designers who are now heartbroken that you have disdained their end product.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh, shame on me. DI hear something this morning about 'face alteration' by IA has been stopped, are the police programmers having second thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!