Saturday, February 3, 2024

3rd February 2024 - What's in a photograph?

I wasn't going to write anything today but then looking at what the Guardian had to offer on its new Saturday Edition compiled by its political editor-in-chief, Katherine Viner, I just had to plug this marvellous compilation of photographs taken over time. 

The journalist Jonathon Freedland in his article - People Say it did in his Career  talks about how photography and specific photographs of some poor, unsuspecting politicians (shush at the back there) have been depicted by the photos taken.  So enjoy the first link as you look through the photos, of mostly old or middle-aged males sadly, but my choice would be the following.

Rishi Sunak's wife Akshata looking wonderful in a  blue dress celebrating Diwali in front of  No.10 Downing Street door.  It shows how much integration has taken place in this country.  How much further we have moved forward.  

The other photo is of Barbara Castle with compatriots - Equal Pay for Women.  How long was that battle fought, and is still being fought?

It reminded me of something that I had seen this week.  The celebration of 80 years of peace, for us, since the last World War.  As I have reached that age, it was extraordinary to see the amount of change that has taken place over those years and how people of my time have adjusted and  should not  be overlooked and seen as elderly!


4 comments:

  1. Interesting, Thelma! Amazing how a wacky photo can change the people's view so quickly. Humans are a fickle group, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a collection of photographs! I enjoyed reading the stories behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments I am a bit short of words for the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!