Wednesday, February 7, 2024

7th February 2024

I can hear the chatter of the older children going to school outside.  The day is gray and we are all waiting in expectancy of snow.  Three o-clock Thursday afternoon. can the weather people really be that accurate?

Matilda is here for the week, seems she has to do some work in her journalism course on Yorkshire, she talks of going up to Haworth to do something on the Brontes, but it is a tiresome two bus trek. 

Luckily she did not know of me acquiring a sewing machine last week so didn't bring her mending down from London.  She is talking about the latest fashion trend, which really to my mind, seems to be going out in your knickers;).  We have a discussion on safety when out at night but both my granddaughters think they are safe.

My patchwork comes on apiece, two cushion covers and something else for Mollie.  I really enjoy watching Kate on 'The Last Homely Home' doing her patchwork, it is almost like being at the kitchen table with her.

The nurse phoned yesterday to give me my annual review.  I seem to have passed, my blood readings are alright, blood pressure a little high, but it has always been so.  Cholesterol 5 something not sure if that is good or bad, but am not giving butter or cheese up yet.  She said something about statins but I refuse to take more tablets then I need, so stick with my BP pills and the little machine that tells me where I am at.

I found some music this morning which I love, had it played at Paul's funeral, though I am sure he would have liked something from Jefferson Airplane but it was my choice to choose it and I wept as I listened to the music.  

The recording is taken from the 'Top of the Pops' and it reminds me of Thursday evenings when my daughter taught her little brother to dance.  For a moment in time my then husband was away teaching at the college and we just had a happy time.


And not to forget it is Tom's birthday today, we have all contributed money to their Japanese trip.  Happy Birthday Tom!!!xxx

16 comments:

  1. Ah, the excitement of Top Of The Pops on Thursday evenings and waiting to see who was number one that week - it seemed important then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine it John, the sheer naivety of it all. Now you can't move for pop on all the radio programmes and phones round this house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They seem to want us all on statins. I said no. Do they get financial incentives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I find that a bit weird, I suppose it is there to stop a stroke before it happens, or might happen, but I wonder what the side affects are Tasker?

      Delete
  4. I managed about a minute of Vangelis. I am with Tasker re statins. They seem to prescribe them as a matter of policy for the over 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find music to please you Tom, so you will just have to not listen.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry, Thelma. I should keep my opinions to myself., especially when it comes to music which means a lot to others. Please forgive me, I wrote the comment in haste without concentrating enough.

      Delete
    3. No need for apology Tom, being you is being you ;). You are an old softie at heart!

      Delete
  5. It seems rote, this statin stuff. I remember sitting by the radio waiting for my favorite song with a reel to reel tape recorder. There always seemed to be some noise in the background! Veryinnocent days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes everyone seems to agree on that Debby. Gosh I remember those old recorders, our expectations for good sound was probably very low.

      Delete
  6. I hadn't heard that song before. I still enjoy listening to the current music on the radio - always in the car when I am going anywhere. I sing along but don't always get the words right!
    I take Simvistatin for my cholesterol and have never had trouble with it. Strokes run in my family and I don't want that to happen to me.
    My son Brian's birthday is today, too. He is 43 today. How the time has flown!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom, my grandson is 30 years old, the oldest of the four grandchildren, a gentle soul. I can just see you singing along to the radio. I have never thought my voice was any good so it is very sotto voce when I do sing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a difficult thing to chose the right music for a funeral. Our son died at this time of the year 11 years ago and I made the mistake of choosing Albinoni's Adagio as one of the pieces. It was perfect but now we listen constantly to Classic FM (husband says the cat likes the music) but still have to turn it off if the adagio is played as it is just too painful to hear. The other song was Blackbird by Alter Bridge which I have a recording of but thankfully it doesn't get played on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so, so sorry Ruta for you both in losing a son. Music is and can be very emotional, bring back memories and I can well believe the Adagio brings you to a stop and the memories flow by - slow and very beautiful. The other music chosen by me was classical of course.
    Music can be bitter-sweet, I always remember here when Andrew bought a couple of bottles of beer which he put on the table and as we sat down for a meal, I happened to glance at them. They were Japanese, Paul's favourite and the tears just came out of nowhere. That is not to say that tears are damaging but a release. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a 30 year old Tom who is also a gentle soul. He phoned me last night to say he is going to Lisbon for the weekend with a young woman. Well obviously he didn’t say young woman, he gave her name, but I felt indescribably happy for him. He split up with his long term girlfriend during Lockdown (she was a medical student in Nottingham, he was in London, it was untenable) so has been alone for a long time, not helped by living with us for 10 months after his London landlord doubled their rent. When do we stop worrying about our children Thelma? Our daughter is far away making a new life for herself in Scotland. She is a writer which can be a precarious and isolating existence. I am thankful I do not have grandchildren to worry about. I spun some Romney marsh merino fleece yesterday evening which was a lovely soothing activity before bedtime. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is true Sarah we worry over our children far into adulthood. When everything is going well we are happy for them, but suddenly feel guilty if life is not panning out for them. My son is a type 1 diabetic, it took a long time for me not too worry about him losing consciousness when he was out and about and not being able to be treated properly medically.
    As For Tom my grandson, he has a happy relationship with a good partner and is settled.
    Merino is always good to spin and dye, though I seem to use Blue-faced Leicester for spinning, trouble is you have to knit it up after having spun it. I used to love dyeing the wool, can't here because it is just too difficult and have got rid of my stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!