Sunday, April 21, 2024

21st April 2024 - this and that


Cabinets of Curiosity: There was and is, a great desire to collect bits and bobs.  It doesn't matter what but a good way of displaying those small finds was a cabinet and I see that there is a small exhibition at The Folklore Centre just round the corner.  I will give you the title and then explain a couple of the words....... Museum of Monotropism by Tzipporah Johnston.

Monotropism is a "Monotropism is a theory of autism that explains how autistic people tend to have their attention pulled more strongly towards a smaller number of interests"

I think many of us might be so inclined but it is one of the things identified over the last few years.  And now for that gorgeous name, how do you pronounce it for a start?

"Tzipporah is a feminine name with  Hebrew origins, originating from the name Zipporah and is ultimately derived from the Hebrew word Tzippor meaning 'bird'."  

Well there's the explanations, learning something every day is not a bad thing.  As I went to a meeting yesterday I did not look at the exhibition (it is very small) but listened to the speaker dutifully.  And learnt what I had already thought that there wasn't much of a history about springs on this side of Yorkshire, or their magic.  There  again it would probably take a few more years of my life to track the necessary history down.  Michael Dames said something relevant about the logical and analytical work of the archaeologist as opposed to a much freer reign of thought.*....

 "the historian R. Hutton, summarises the beneficial effect of the analytical approach to the goddess, favoured by pre-historians: ‘She has been blown to pieces for ever by them. There is no possible answer to their analysis.’  Analysis again!"

It is very true that archaeologists abide by their discipline and do not stray into the land of imagination, and definitely from their secular views into the house of religion.  But the once head of English Heritage, Geoffrey Wainwright moved to the Presceli mountains in his retirement and listened to the music of the stones ;) though of course in reality he was trying to find the exact quarry where the bluestones of Stonehenge came from.

* That statement is not quite accurate, after all there are books written on the 'warrior' cultures and the prehistoric cultures of religion but they often follow each other ideas and there is only a few archaeologists that seem to break out of the mold of recording the physical finds, which is probably a good thing anyway.  After all who wants woo-woo ;)

4 comments:

  1. What I’ve always found comforting from watching programmes such as Time Team and more recently Alice Roberts and Digging for Britain is how little mankind changes and how even we today would find much in common with our ancestors. And yes, I have heard the music of the Preseli hills. I have a wonderful photo of my two dressed like typical teenagers sprawling on the blue stones. Yesterday after a day decorating our study (Jurassic Stone is the paint colour) I went out to do some meditative weeding and allow my arm that had been rolling paint to contract and relax in a different action and I heard the cuckoo which made my heart sing. I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned before Thelma but here we are surrounded by Bronze Age barrows. We are on the Greensand ridge in the northern lee of the South Downs, below us is the river valley where there is still evidence of Saxon farms and the land today is still used for farming - both arable and wood pasture. I feel very fortunate to live here. Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah, it is very true that we share an awful lot with our ancestors, I suppose that is why we hold on to them. Even when you go far back into Early Man, evidence of drawings on cave walls tells us that they saw much of life as we do today, but just in a different set of circumstances. I am not sure that the cuckoo makes it down to our lower valley, but I used to hear it on Wheeldale Moor. I think the overlay of history is fascinating, those boundaries the Saxon marked out can still be found in today's farm hedges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the infectious enthusiasm of Alice Roberts and especially Janina Ramirez. However, when I do psychology Asperger questions I'm well about the threshold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are two sparkling females, Professor Roberts with her bright hair and Ramirez. I saw Ramirez series a few years back and she was always in boots, so the old song Nancy Sinatra sang 'these boots were made for walking' always went through my head. Never questioned at what stage I am along the Spectrum line ;) My daughter would fill you in on that! but surely Autism can be a gift.

      Delete

Love having comments!