Thursday, April 4, 2024

Jotting down thoughts

 Murr Brewster always cheers me up with her wit and this morning she was brilliant.  I leave you her blog.  Politics at its best, I always thought politicians were there to govern the country for the inhabitants of that country.  But in America as in our country, it is all talk of bringing the other side down.  They should make a game of it, Trump has the money but not the brain unfortunately.

The other blog that caught my eye was Bensozia's blog - Inside the Prophet's Hat.  It will set you thinking about your own beliefs, and in my case, the need for some mystical happenings in the world.  So what do you see inside the hat I wonder? it's rather greasy interior, or maybe a marvellous new world into which you can step.

I had asked that question with the Easter holidays hanging over our head.  Why was Tolkien a strong Catholic and whether C.S.Lewis was one also, no, apparently more of a strict Anglican. 

How can intelligent people be Catholics I wondered, a faith built on small stories, or do they see something different to us. 

This morning, and isn't it better news that there is a movement from the law makers of this country to challenge the government on its refusal to face up to the genocide in Palestine and do something about it.

But to get back to Catholicism, it is no different from the early religions, whose patterns are often reflected in our Christian faith, for there are standard parts to fix your star to.  The moon and the sun, reflected in gold will tell you the time of year.  See the Coligny Calendar from Roman/Iron Age times and then brood for a while on the fact that we are now going to give the moon a time frame...

“An atomic clock on the Moon would tick at a different rate to a clock on Earth. It makes sense that when you go to another body, like the Moon or Mars, that each one gets its own heartbeat.”

There is magic in the world.  Well perhaps not in the physical world but in our hearts we want more than the daily boredom of our lives.







10 comments:

  1. It seem like Sir Keef is using the tactic of saying little to ensure he wins power as the present government is voted out rather than Sir Keef winning. It will be an interesting election, but aren't they all.

    Religion? How can intelligent people believe in dreadful recommendations from the bible and something like a supernatural person? I like that there is a social aspect to church going, and hence comes care and community. But really, all the spooky religious stuff? I've not forgotten how a pregnant unmarried young women would be ostracised by church communities, yet the bloke suffered no consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the inequality between men and women has long been fought over Andrew. Most men pick up the tab if a child is born but women have never been able to give birth in a virginal state.
      The Conservatives are quivering in their seats over the next election, some already running for the hills but it will be interesting as you say.

      Delete
  2. I have not been writing enough on my blog recently, or reading others - I shall check out your recommendations though. And I thought of you the other day as I walked with my little whippet past the stones at Carreg Coetan near St Davids Head and thought how you would like it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one stage I thought of retiring in the area round St. Davids but it hasn't come to pass. Yes you should definitely write more Mark, Wales is full of stories and taking up the theme of the above has a certain mystical air to it ;)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the Brewster blog. Thanks for pointing us to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is very well informed on creatures as well, her witty style a joy Tasker.

      Delete
  4. Murr Brewster is wonderful. I thought I had been following her but obviously not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember at one stage you could not get her blog, probably something to do with using your phone. "Disaster Preparedness" is the blog that is so clever.

      Delete
  5. "There is magic in the world. Well perhaps not in the physical world but in our hearts we want more than the daily boredom of our lives." This should go in the "Thelma Wilcox Book of Wise Quotations".


    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had neat handwriting Neil I would keep a journal of sayings, used to keep a commonplace book at one stage but then threw them away.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!