Monday, April 29, 2024

29th April 2024

 We had a power cut this morning.  For a short time we had the fun of candles, though of course it was getting light.  Also, the Aga produced tea and toast without any problem and then of course the power came back  at 7-0-clock.  It knocked out the internet, but was eventually righted by turning the router off, leaving a couple of minutes, and then turning it back on.

Our willow lessons went off very well, now I have a small basket for my patchwork, but will admit that Joe our teacher wove much of it.  It is much more difficult than I expected, the different stitching seeming to change every ten minutes or so but our teacher Joe was superb, and so patient.

The willow classes are had in the Willow Cafe, so we can get any drinks or food downstairs, I had a delicious Vegan puff pastry, when I crashed out yesterday with hunger,  I have a tendency to faint, if I am not fed regularly;)

Weirdly enough there was someone from Bath there.  She said it with a short 'a' in typical Yorkshire way, I say the long 'A', which of course sounds more pretentious and is always picked up by someone who will mimic me. But believe me it goes against every grain in my body to speak in a flat tonal.

Joe was obviously a great expert on willow, and she sees it as having a spirit of its own.  One thing she said was that climate change is affecting the willows as well.  There were some lovely colours,  from a coppery one, to the shiny grey edging on mine and a dark green band in the centre of the basket.

8 comments:

  1. I remember the last time we had a powercut in London. It felt quite exciting. Our neighbours went out of their home to check everyone else. I went outside with my housemates and started talking =].

    ReplyDelete

  2. well it is quite exciting here. The whole of the electricity board seems to be on the road and there is a generator as well. Looks like they are going to go on all night. You are quite right these little disturbances bring out everyone on to the street. Everyone's moaning about having no internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as my wife adopted the short A.
    I have discovered that the sure way to get the power back on is to get out the candles and camping stove and start to make a cup if tea. It always comes back on immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes power cuts do not last long Tasker. Think we need a little Gaz camping stove for the summer when the Aga is off. Accents are funny old things, you can almost tell what class people come from, and yet class is the most ridiculous thing to judge people by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fascinating Thelma - might we have a photograph please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. H.I.'s Sheffield father used to say, "There is no R in bastard".

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!