Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Magpie habit of picking things up

Things I pick up along the way, or taking a leaf from someone's blog .....


The Buddha of Eternal Light

 “When the wind blows, the downy willow seed floats away” is a Zen koan 


Guess what these scissors are used for?


Chateau.......? Think Byron




Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

~ Robert Frost

And perhaps Bede for I love the story of the sparrow flying through the Saxon hall telling us that nothing really changes.

“The present life of man upon earth, O King, seems to me in comparison with that time which is unknown to us like the swift flight of a sparrow through the mead-hall where you sit at supper in winter, with your Ealdormen and Thanes, while the fire blazes in the midst and the hall is warmed, but the wintry storms of rain or snow are raging abroad. The sparrow, flying in at one door and immediately out at another, whilst he is within, is safe from the wintry tempest, but after a short space of fair weather, he immediately vanishes out of your sight, passing from winter to winter again. So this life of man appears for a little while, but of what is to follow or what went before we know nothing at all.”

 Bede - The Ecclesiastical




10 comments:

  1. Those scissors look just like a pair of deadheading scissors I may or may not still have in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are almost there Ruta, my daughter says they are Bonsai tree trimmers ;)

      Delete
  2. The Einstein tip reminds me of Tommy Cooper stuffing a used bus ticket in the pocket of a London cab driver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could not stand Tommy Cooper. But I do like the absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your magpie mind has uncovered some treasures!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many years ago I used to collect odd sayings that went into a commonplace book, but I threw the books away Debby. Yesterday I was reading Edward Heath quotes (a middle of the road conservative) but could not find the relevant 'Morning Cloud' quote. Daft really.

      Delete
    2. I am not familiar with Edward Heath, but I wandered off to have a read about him and read about the morning cloud. A quote that came up about Edward Heath, (but not BY him: Christopher Wordsworth was that he was no stranger to 'platitude and longitude.' The story about the two lost men was riveting. But his quote: a diplomat is a man who thinks twice before he says nothing is just proof to me that I was not cut out for diplomacy.

      Delete
    3. That is funny Debby. Being a prime minister is hard, I consider Heath middle of the road. He did not like Thatcher's government - the start of the downfall of this country maybe. So one 'Morning Cloud' quote "I have no interest in sailing round the world. Not that there is any lack of requests for me to do so". A quiet sense of humour.

      Delete
  5. I am a great ||Robert Frost fan - he wrote so many wise words.
    An interesting quote to add to that magpie collection: ."Not only is the Universe stranger than we think; it is stranger than we can think" (Wernern Heisenberg)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat. Very true that quote from Heisenberg, we do not know it all we just think we do.

      Delete

Love having comments!