Thursday, September 5, 2024

5th September 2024 - carp

Streams and mountains beyond end.

This rather bad photo of a Chinese landscape speaks to me of a journey through a landscape.  It is housed in the Cleveland Museum in America, and dated 1100-1150, (I presume AD) Late Northern Song Dynasty.
I found it illustrated in a book of poems of Gary Snyder with the following Chinese poem by Ch'i Shan Wu Chin.

Clearing the mind and sliding in
to that created space,
a web of waters streaming over rocks
air misty but not raining,
seeing this land, from a boat on a lake
or a broad slow river, coasting by.

I am I suppose gathering thoughts together. Watching Liam's blogs on paintings flow by has made me think what do I like in art.  Well sadly not those 'brown' portraits of the eminent males in Europe, nor the flighty fancy of Roman inspired themes and Christian art leaves me very quiet.

Also add to this list of nearly about everything, is Japanese art as well, so why does the above, ink on silk by the way, move me, it must be about the idea of action through a landscape. It is a life that moves through the natural world of trees, rivers, mountains and lakes with a flowing water like movement until it comes to death standing at the end.  As a word jolts the memory so does a picture come into the mind without asking.

Gardens and flowers influence me, at the moment Monet, trying to catch the ephemeral nature of their shapes and colour. One of my inherited treasures is a silk cream piano cover.  It has a Chinese dragon embroidered on it with beautiful intricate flowers and butterflies surrounding it.


What I admire of course is the delicacy of the work; so many hours dedicated to it.

So as I wander through this morning's memories, I thought of the one painting that Paul had that I loved and took pride of place in the sitting room. 

It was a painting that stood in the entrance, maybe of a temple, holding evil at bay and not allowing it into the temple.

Two carp leaping among waves Tsukioka Shuei (1790-1830)

You can find the story of the carp here in this blog.

6 comments:

  1. The piano cover is to be treasured. I like quite a bit of Chinese and Japanese art. I have a bit hanging on walls and I should show it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem is though Andrew which grandchild will treasure it?

      Delete
  2. Today I am wearing my "I climbed the Great Wall" t shirt. So it's funny that you mention China today. I remember my trip there for my middle son's wedding to my lovely daughter-in-law. Do you still have the lovely carp panel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Ellen, I left all Paul's stuff for his two sons. I thought at the time I am not long for this world;) and his new grandchild would appreciate all the stuff that had been collected over time.

      Delete
  3. I also like landscapes, but I like a lot of things for different reasons.
    The above landscape drawing is impressive and quite striking for panoramic effect, and the god-like vista we get to experience. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I can be a bit critical about art but then it is a very subjective subject. But landscape I love, also flowers, the Dutch are very good at ephemeral vases of dramatic flowers and I do love Turner ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!