Sunday, September 29, 2024

29th September 2024 - Words




"Psychogeography is the exploration of urban environments that emphasizes interpersonal connections to places and arbitrary routes. It was developed by members of the Letterist International and Situationist International, which were revolutionary groups influenced by Marxist and anarchist theory as well as the attitudes and methods of Dadaists and Surrealists"    Wiki interpretation.

Debby said something in comments yesterday about having to go and look words up and it struck me was my vague notion of the above word right?  I know this site,' The Smell of Water' well (I love his photos of the North) and have often looked at his photos of urban spaces and the particular and understood him from my own limited well of knowledge.  When of course I go to look up the word I find it further defined into other eccentric groups  and of course since these groups made in the 1950s universities have since moved on can psychography still be valid.  Its value as a word questioned but has it evolved, does it sit behind teachings of various subjects, for instance, archaeology.

I have by definition moved it out into the wider landscapes, here John Billingsley's talks are occasionally about 'The Coffin Paths' when in olden days the trip from the deceased's house would often follow a paved path across the moors to the church burial.  These pathways had an air of mysticism in the present sense.

Archaeologist have also created new pathways of thought patterns, subjectively titling them under such terms as Post Processual So that they can analysis evidence.  I see Christopher Tilley is one of its leaders in this country, and I actually like him ;)  But really my gut response to all this fancy labelling, is these men are just trying to dazzle us with their cleverness.

Geoffrey Wainwright and I think Darvill, both men of eminent positions in the archaeological world once did an experiment of acoustics with the stones in the Presceli Hills.  It seems to have disappeared off the net but it was very interesting. 

So I pick my reading carefully but delight in the 'otherness' of interpretation, doesn't mean I believe it but like that multi facaded silver ball that twinkles and shines on the dance floor, that is how I see the information that falls from the sky and you have to admit Psychography has very worthy ancestral roots;)

This and That  2014

Alternative Theories 2007

Silbury Hill 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love having comments!