Sunday, September 8, 2024

8th September 2024

 


A book recommendation:  Once many years ago I read a book by William Dalrymple, the sort of historical adventure book you can't put down.  He is an excellent writer, for a start he introduced me to Stylites.  Men who follow an ascetic religious life by sitting atop pillars in the desert. My mind grappled with the dangers of falling off the pillar once asleep.  Food of course can be winched up in a basket but it is perhaps a better fate than monks or nuns who choose to have themselves walled up in their respective monasteries for the greater glory of their God in Europe.
Well it is already on Audible and already bought so I shall listen to it as I work.
Early rise this morning, constant meowing in my ear at about 5, when eventually, I looked for what was upsetting Mollie, found she had been sick at the bottom of the bed.  She obviously wanted the duvet changed! Who invented the duvet? I know there is logic to changing one but as I carefully lay the four corners out of the duvet, and then offer up the duvet cover why does it always end up such a mess?






10 comments:

  1. Bulldog clips! They are my answer for getting the cover onto the duvet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I shall have to go out and buy some Sue but it is an idea.

      Delete
  2. If you lived on top of a pillar in the desert at least you wouldn't have the problem of changing duvet covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really funny John though not the answer ;)

      Delete
  3. I was told by a duvet expert to turn the cover inside-out, put your hands in to the two far corners, grab two corners of the duvet and pull it through, turning the cover outside-in as you wrap it. A bit like skinning a rabbit in reverse. It still drives me mad though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never skinned a rabbit Tom, though as a child a rabbit stew was delicious. But as options go it sounds quite sensible your way of putting on a duvet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of stylites before. That is an amazing thing to ponder. My son in law is the duvet changer in his house. He is extremely tall. He does it just as Tom describes, except that he extends over the stair banister to keep the thing from dragging on the floor. My daughter is a foot and a half shorter than he is and has an awful time of it. Finally, I have to tell you the most amazing thing. My cat rarely gets sick, but yesterday morning, I discovered that he had. Here's the amazing thing, Thelma. He had gotten sick on the hardwood floor instead of the rug. I thought it was unwritten cat law that they must always get sick on carpeting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the inside out duvet seems quite plausible for the future Debby. As for cats, I think Mollie is trying to dominate me into a slave to her every whim. Also her habit of being awake at night and sleeping all day is rotten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard of the Stylites but couldn't remember what they were called, just that they sat up on pillars! They must have had terrible piles. Also, how did they go to the loo? (I have a practical mind!!) Enjoy the book. I am more than half way through Edward Rutherford's The Forest, which is a great tale and gives me a lovely link back to an area I know well.

    As for putting duvets in covers - try pegging the top two corners. Helps no end in the battle for supremacy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well not going into much detail, but we all now how to throw up when on a boat 'over the side'. Never heard of 'The Forest', getting inundated with books, no matter how many I throw out, they still seem to breed!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!