Tuesday, October 1, 2024

1st October 2024

 Well my daughter returned yesterday and brought me up to date of their wanderings round the towns.  First of all, Andrew rented another car, but again he was given an expensive model for the price of an ordinary car.  This time he got a blue Alfa Romero (penis extension car for men according to my daughter).  She wasn't terribly impressed because everyone kept looking at them.

Now the 'Wrinkled Stocking' cafe at Holmfirth was explained it was where 'Last of the Summer wine' was made.  A long series that seemed to go on for ever but it started in 1973 and finished in 2010.  It is crude, funny and over the top and there is a short video of Nora and Compo down below.  The wrinkled stockings of course belonged to Nora, heavy weight ugly lisle I think.

They also went to Newcastle and drove round, when I asked did they see any rabbits on the traffic islands my daughter looked at me askance.  But yes it is true several years ago when I went with Tom and Karen's ex-husband to see the university at Newcastle there were definitely little bunny rabbits hiding in the bushes as the cars whizzed round them.  I came a cropper at the entrance to the university, tripping over the pavement edge but it was more of a bruised ego than a bruised knee.

Tom of course did not choose this university, which was lovely, but went up to London to study like the rest of the grandchildren.  Newcastle is renowned for its bridges.

She brought me back some Bakewell tart they also visited this town as well, whether it was from Bakewell I do not know, but it was rather lumpy and did not have the exact measure (which I like) of jam underneath the ground almond level.  Somehow the stodginess of yorkshire pudding (not that one, the edible one) and Bakewell tart can only be found up North.

The other place they went to was Huddersfield, why I don't know but apparently it is not a bad place.  I just can't stand the word Huddersfield, always invokes in my mind the blackened grey of the municipal buildings that are such a feature of these Northern towns, they shout superiority at you reminding you of Victorian charity to the poor.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Love having comments!