Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Ramblings - 22nd October 2024

Moss at Solva

The above photo whizzed through my F/B account, and two friends recognised old Moss.  One remembered him eating some  Zwartbles fleece.  Which had been given to us by a teacher at St. Edward's School.  The fleeces were useless, dirty and coarse to spin so they ended up in the dustbin.  

The other friend from America, Jennie will know them, recognised the place it was a walk to Middle Mill, where you could buy rugs and carpeting done on old looms.  It was funny, for Loie at the time  recognised  one stair carpet as being ordered for a library in America. Strange small facts.

Andrew has set up a small workspace in Lillie's old bedroom.  The chair and desk came over the weekend, Ikea I think.  Rather envious of the table it would make an ideal quilting table.  So after fondue last night he made them up.  He lives in Shipley, so they both spend time at each other's places, but as Andrew works on the computer he needs to be able to work from one quickly I suppose, anyway it is all set up.

Lillie is coming back next weekend, mostly to fulfil her social life and a party that is happening.  The children's lives go on happily I think, Ben is ill but it is not Covid.  I had my jabs over the weekend, formally organised by the surgery over the road and it goes very smoothly.

Listening to Rebecca Solnit interviewed by two American, not sure of their jobs but probably journalists.  It was in Prospect Magazine which is a UK magazine set up by Alan Rusbridger.  A former editor of the Guardian, might be a good Xmas present for me ;)

What you learn from Solnit is the absolute absurdity of how news is given out


Below is a video from South Africa I think.  I often watch their videos of people reflecting on life.  He is touching as he talks  and his confession that he likes solitude at times echoes my own somewhat selfish need for aloneness..  Also describes that nervous, anxious person that is so like me. But watching him rake the stones so reminiscent of Japanese ways reminded me of Paul, who would sit in the front garden on the bench drinking a beer on a summer evening.  Totally at peace and happy with life.  So I hope you listen.



1 comment:

  1. It is funny what bloggers have in common. Often retired school teachers, although in my case that is reducing. Observers perhaps being more than participants, though that is not true, but we do observe. Some of us were partnered but are happy alone. And we are interested in stuffs.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!