Monday, October 14, 2024

14th October 2024

 The week that was.  Echoes of a long ago satirical show TWTWTW.  But with our weather forecasting giving us false hurricane winds as well, wasn't there a bit of Deja Vue, did it ricochet through our minds reminding us of the storm of 1987 when Michael Fish's tame forecast came undone and we woke to all those trees brought down. 15th October 1987. 

Then there is the beautiful Auroras or Northern Lights we have all been experiencing.  Photos bounce through my F/B of gorgeous coloured skies, over Stonehenge or Avebury.  If, of course, I had lived through prehistoric times I would be seeing signs of the gods warning us of troubled times in the future maybe.

photo taken from Swindon Advertiser

English music on the radio, or at least music composed by English composers.  When I was a child I was often ill, lying in bed hour after hour with only the radio for company and it seemed around 5  0 clock in the late afternoon someone indulged themselves with 'Lark Ascending' or some Elgar.  I remember being quite disappointed when we went to lunch at some friends at Great Malvern, for this was the place where Elgar had settled.  We walked the hills and drank the water, but it was very suburban.

As for my back ;) well a paracetamol before I get up will take away the pain of actually getting up and once walking around there is not much pain.  So I shall wait for it to heal up.

I have been thinking about love and romance, something we hardly talk about in blogland.  But I am sure it starts at the beginning of all relationships.  The grass ring my first husband wove for me must have disintegrated into brown dust before I got the garnet engagement ring.  I wear a garnet ring today from Paul, I love the dark red of this semi-precious stone.  There are beautiful cloisonne Anglo-Saxon jewels found in the graves of the A/S women.  Nowadays we would not be buried with our treasured belongings but then burial was an acknowledgement of lives well lived.



1 comment:

  1. During WWI Elgar and his wife Alice (who suffered badly with her nerves) settled in my village in a house called Brinkwells where he composed many pieces of his music. I have always loved Elgar’s music although he comes a close second to my favourite composer Ralph Vaughan Williams who was inspired to compose Lark Ascending while sitting on Effingham common and collecting folk songs from the travelling Gypsies and and watching the larks ascending. I lived in Effingham for 26 years and the skylarks were still there at the beginning but long gone now. Fortunately we still see skylarks here in the South Downs. Where would we be without music, birds, the countryside, but like you I am suspicious of brightly coloured sunrises and sunsets as nowadays they signify pollutant particles in the atmosphere. Hope your back gets better. Gentle stretches are good for backs and on that note I am off to my weekly yoga class ahead of my week in Crete on a yoga retreat. Two hours of yoga a day and I won’t know my body! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!