Saturday, October 12, 2024

12th October 2024

 Well I am not sure you will be able to watch this but here goes.  It is a video of the Allendale Folk Festival, I presume up in the wilds of Northumberland.  It is the tale of the wolf killing, though I think the wolf died out long before this wolf was around.  What made me cry though was that at the end Katy, had recorded the theme music from the Detectorists.  A programme many people loved for its gentle humour and the two actors who were such losers, Paul loved it as well.

The actual music was sung by Johnny Flynn


If you can't play it try and find the programme it is very funny with a touch of pathos.  

And you get Kate's Onion soup for colds, my daughter has just gone off to Switzerland with a cold to see her aunt, so I hope she doesn't pass it on.

An edit: Great news!!! a date that needs recording for the family.

An excited call from my daughter in Switzerland this afternoon, Tom, my eldest grandchild has got engaged to Ellie in Copenhagen.  Hopefully there will be a picture of them both.  I never actually thought I would live to see him grown up nor that somewhere in the future I could be a great grandmother.  I know my daughter is over the moon at this coming together.  They were meant for each other and are so sweet together.

So when they will wed I do not know but their  grandfather, who never saw his daughter grown, let alone his grandchildren would perhaps also rejoice.

8 comments:

  1. You can find the story of the Hexham/Allendale wolf here:
    https://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/cryptozoology/the-wolf-of-allendale-the-hexham-wolf/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an exciting read John, I see it comes from The Fortean magazine, who have combined two stories into one. There being a Celtic legend attached to it, the wolf being half man, half wolf. Thank you for that link.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this link Thelma. I really enjoyed Kate’s bit (I made Jamie Oliver’s French Onion Soup recently after watching him make it on his What To Eat Now TV programme. Excellent seasonal local recipes and all filmed in his leaky wooden greenhouse/potting shed in his walled garden in Essex). I’ve had a bit of pash for Johnny Flynn since my children were teenagers and used to play his music around the house (they are 31 and 28 now and respectively and currently trekking in the Kashmiri mountains and working and studying in Scotland). I’ve never watched Detectorists but I know that Johnny Flynn and Robert Macfarlane composed, wrote and sang the music together. Johnny was recently on Private Passions (Radio 3, Sunday at noon) and it was wonderful to hear hm talking about the music he loved. He has been in the West End lately playing Richard Burton opposite Mark Gatiss as Laurence Olivier in a funny reimagining of putting on Hamlet during the early days of the National Theatre .He also played Dickie Greenleaf in Ripley, a Netflix series and very well done indeed (Andrew Scott played Tom Ripley) and much much darker than the fIlm version with Jude Law and Matt Damon. We’re off now to the Weald and Downland museum where there is a special foraging and harvest weekend. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sarah Johnny Flynn is definitely attractive, didn't realise he had sung the song with Robert Macfarlane. As for Netflix, I do not subscribe because there is too much for me to take in. I think I would envy anyone who went trekking in the Kashmiri, hope they keep safe. Just had some marvellous news from my daughter, my grandson got engaged to day. But I shall make that a note up top. I shall go and look up Ripley I think.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I loved The Detectorists and was sorry to see it end. I also enjoyed Mr. Bates vs The Post Office starring the actor Toby Jones who also was in The Detectorists.
    I would be worried if that was my building so near to that large bonfire! I'm sure they know what they are doing tho. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellen, yes Toby Jones is an excellent actor and I think the Detectorist was a surprising success. As for the filming near to the fire, think there was a fire engine standing by. I loved the large puppet wolf with its red eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be a back breaking job being that wolf! was my first thought .
    Then I wondered why that lady's youtube was called The Last Homely House?
    I shall now go off and investigate further

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully it will lead you to Rivendell Sue. Well I know I could not do the back end of that wolf puppet ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!