Let me start by saying I do not like Chris Packham, his messages of doom haunt me daily. Sometimes I think, heaven forbid, that he takes on his gloom and doom message for a paying job in his life. But the evidence of what he says is all around us and has been there for years.
So when a National Emergency Briefing email headed by him came through calling for instructions, and information, as to what was going to happen should such an emergency develop that I signed a government petition. It has probably resulted in the government message we received yesterday about stocking food and water (they were listening!!).
We discussed it at the meal yesterday evening, in actual fact it it normal for the Swiss to have a fortnight reserve of food in their cupboards and I am sure we could fulfil that today with what is in our cupboard. Drinking water of course is probably the most important and tins of beans (We have a whole shelf full sadly).
What with the Russians boats lurking around our shores, probably there just to cause unease. The idiot in the USA, and the Climate breaking down we should be worried. Before anyone jumps up to say it that Climate breakdown is all in the imagination, don't bother, I have heard it before. The signs and warnings are there in purely scientific terms.
Just to cheer things up, we had a small emergency this morning. Lillie went off to work early, leaving a cheap charger working on her bed. The mattress caught fire, or at least smouldered down about 8 inches under the charger. Of course the smell of burning alerted my daughter. But the moral there is, don't just buy stuff because it is cheap and sold as marvellous and don't leave chargers in flammable places. But as my daughter said all mattresses are fire retardant now.
I didn't know how long a fortnight was (14 days I found out)! I don't think I want to live if there is an apocalypse. I've lived long enough. My youngest son and his wife own property in Rwanda - maybe the family would be safe there.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the warning about the charger. I'll unplug mine when it isn't in use now.
So apart from dropping the 'u' in many words you also don't have fortnights in America Ellen. Tut-tut. Chargers do get warm, on my phone especially, but as my daughter said it was probably some cheap Chinese s*** this particular charger.
DeleteI was surprised when I learnt Americans didn't know the word fortnight. Generally here most people are paid fortnightly, as are social security payments paid.
DeleteYes it was a bit of a shock Andrew, something that is so familiar to us.
DeleteMaybe other Americans know what a fortnight is! It might be just me that didn't!? :)
DeleteI had to explain a fortnight to an American penfriend too many years ago!
DeleteI've seen the suggestions about 'survival rations' - my parents, living on a farm in the country, would have just called that common sense, not having a shop on their doorstep.
ReplyDeleteThe trouble is Will the vast range of mostly useless food our young have taken to. It will not be on offer. Some 'preppers' have been hoarding for years, so it will at least give them some relief. I agree with your parents, food is mostly common sense.
DeleteI think it is very wise. As to water, we reuse milk jugs, washing them out and then filling them with water. We have a half dozen gallons or so in the downstairs freezer. It does double duty. It will maintain the cold for a few days during prolonged power outages as well as provide drinking water in case of emergency.
ReplyDeleteI think America seems to preserve food more that English people do. Though I note there is an increased sale in pulses in this country, but that could also be because of the high price of meat. Also Debby because you live by a community of Amish people, who are self sufficient by belief.
DeleteI am unfamiliar with the term "pulses'. Off to google
DeleteWe have jars of stuff, from yellow peas to green lentils Debby. All definitely need livening up.
DeleteLillie rhymes with silly... Silly Lillie! What a daft thing to do! I am surprised that you don't like Chris Packham for I have long admired the fellow. He was briefly imprisoned in Malta when he bravely protested about the popular Maltese male "sport" of shooting birds - any birds - and not for food either. He also advertises "Naked Paper" toilet rolls.
ReplyDeleteWell I suppose Packham has to make his money somewhere Neil. Also, I would agree he does an excellent job for the environment. He just doesn't seem very humourous.
DeletePerhaps that is down to his autism.
DeleteThat would explain his devotion to the cause. And yes we need autism in our make-up.
DeleteWe are really learning about cheap Asian charging products and batteries. We need to buy more expensive cheap Asian products.
ReplyDeleteYes Andrew, actually China has done more for green energy than most countries. It is of course becoming the first power as Western dominancy slips away.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness the charger/mattress situation was found sooner rather than later.
ReplyDeleteThe last thing I would have in an emergency store is beans! Chocolate would be much more cheerful!
Chocolate it is for you Sue;) Yes it was a chance visit to the attic room that alerted my daughter.
DeleteScary about the charger! Thank goodness for fire-retardant mattresses. The thing about Chris Packham is, he's not wrong.
ReplyDelete