When one cannot find something to write about, I run through my photos for a bright spark to engage the numb brain. Trouble is if I do the same on my blog I spend time reading the stuff I wrote so many years ago. Look at these beautiful trees, planted on a slope, the soil has washed away, exposing the roots but their grip is solid. Another line of trees below, up on Wheeldale Moor. Has a tree fallen allowing suckling branches to grow or is it the work of a peasant that once lived here a couple of centuries ago.
This was once a cottage I think but more recent history says it was a building, for walkers maybe, a piece of history I have not looked into. There is a pair of stones placed as for a gate at one time but now overgrown with bracken.
| Catch up news The crypt under the church of St. Mary, Lastingham |
In answer to Dawkin's book - The God Delusion, (Yorkshire Pudding) I would argue that there is a need for religion, whether you believe or not. Humans were born with a need for creativity, from the first charcoal drawings on the walls of caves to the intricately built cathedrals. The need to create was overwhelming it just needed a channel to open up the way. Of course the foolishness of men (yes that stays) who wanted to dominate, a whole class of stupidness was born, mostly it had to do with power and greed. Also, probably not thought of, a need for developing brain power to workout. It went horribly wrong and there was no God to pick up the pieces!
Ghosts always interesting to carry along.
Trees are reminders that we are puny mortals, most living short, insignificant lives, seeking the truth of the universe, but just creating more questions and uncertainties.
ReplyDeleteYes but something unfortunate happened along the way Janice ;)
DeleteYour blog is such a nice memory box for you.
ReplyDeleteYes Ellen, luckily it is not a Pandora's box!
DeleteBut humans can be creative without religion, can't they? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.
ReplyDeleteWell I could be talking nonsense Steve but I think it is a chicken and egg problem. Why did religion start so early, those first early Mesolithic antler head dresses for instance. Someone in the tribe had to take charge from the beginning and religion evolved to give credence to their authority. You could say that cave art which features mostly animals show the drawing of animals to kill and eat, the drawings are creative. Anyway what set me off was the Vale of Pickering with the Mesolithic Star Carr settlement and the frontlets of deer antlers worn.
ReplyDeleteOf course I had to go in search of the tree on the Gundestrop cauldron, as I had not paid it much attention when I was looking at it in the spring. Yes, you could well be right - capture of a sacred tree. Links with Yggdryasil? As for religion, yes, power and control essential to mankind, and of course, what better pathway than religion? Not working quite so well these days though.
ReplyDeleteFrom Roman and Greek gods, reading through Miranda Green and Anne Ross on Celtic gods, it has always struck me that religion was important Jennie. And as you say the Gundestrop cauldron highlights a tree being carried by soldiers. The Yggdryasil Tree features as part of the Norse world story. Christianity came later in the storytelling but if I had another 50 years I would love to go back and explore how the mythmaking was conducted from earlier religions.
ReplyDeleteUndoubtedly, religion has served its purpose - providing comfort and reason through the centuries. But it was all built on mythology and make-believe and social control. Science, logic and the complete lack of evidence for the existence of God and an after-life mean that it should now be time to move on, leaving those fairy stories behind us.
ReplyDeleteHow are you going to leave the Odyssey behind though? it is written now and has inspired writers, painters and sculptors. You are actually only bringing down one god, the Christian one and yes I totally agree that science is the logical, factual creed we should follow, but explain how some scientists are religious?
ReplyDeleteIn older age, visual memory is usually more reliable than aural memory. So looking at old photos is an excellent idea, very often evoking warm memories from the past.
ReplyDeleteI try and always include photos in Art and Architecture, mainly.. I need to *sigh*
Though I miss the past, I would not go back to it Hels. Finding photos for your excellent essays, you seem to find plenty that are relevant to the subject you are writing about.
ReplyDelete