Friday, June 26, 2020

Friday 26th June

Yesterday I bought a camcorder off Ebay. I had started to see photos as one moment captured but not telling a story. In many cases we are trying to capture something of the atmosphere but noise is excluded.  So I consulted a good friend in Cornwall, as he always sends me videos of the excavating work they do, he recommended a Panasonic SD80 and I bought a second hand one. Quite excited.  Though I may say that I get completely frustrated with anything technical, so I am looking forward to an easy introduction.

One story that with its gentle humour made Paul and I both laugh at the time,  'The Detectorists', surely an exquisite drama of the subtly quiet lives of two nondescript characters played beautifully by Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones.  The magpie is one of my favourite birds and the song by the 'Unthanks' captures the stories that unwind with these intelligent birds.  Who has not whispered under their breath.......

One for sorrow, two for joy



10 comments:

  1. Enjoyable clip. Good luck with your camcorder Thelma. I hope you are able to master it quickly. By the way, there is a hamlet to the south of Sheffield called Unthank. I had a row with a farmer and his wife there. For some strange reason they objected to me taking photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I looked up the name in 'Place-names', 1254 Land held without consent, in other words a squatter's holding. Seems to come from Northumbria and Cumbria, a Northern name but unusual.

      Delete
  2. Love the song and the music too. I like the magpie but have not seen one round here. We had them at the farm which is only a couple of fields away from where I live now - we had a nest there every year - but they just don't seem to ventureinto our little town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem thin on the ground round Yorkshire, plenty down south. Of course in the nesting season they like urban places for the young and eggs, they are carnivorous.

      Delete
  3. What a video! Now there's something to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, not sure I am up to Derek Jarman yet ;)

      Delete
  4. Love this song by The Unthanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it. The detectorists series was very good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Unthanks, thank you for sharing this beautiful clip. There is indeed an Unthank in Cumbria, I have often wondered where the name comes from so thank you for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very unusual, and probably should not be read in a modern way, but that it means 'squatter's land' is strange.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!