Saturday, June 20, 2020

Happy Solstice - counting the good things



Sweet Rowan tree,
Grace my land and grow
Ward off evil spirits
And remind me of my heritage long ago.

Patricia Gale


It has once more dawned a beautiful day, and my worries of yesterday dissipated.  Green Eyes was not seen all day, I am so used to her sitting on the wall expecting her early breakfast, that it was a shock to notice her absence.  She hangs round the garden most of the day, trotting after the bantams and her little presence was missed until this morning when..........I opened the garage door.  To be met by her pitiful mews as she sat on top of the car, she is so timid, and I had to leave both doors open till she plucked up the courage to race across the lawn to the church wall.  All is well now, last time I saw  her looking with great intensity down a mouse hole.

No Stonehenge solstice, messy people gathered round the stones waiting for the sun to rise to kiss a particular stone with its warmth.  You may think them crazy, but I have a soft spot for these pagans, a belief in something good, and surely that is important.  Here is 2019 Summer Solstice

The other good thing that happened was I found Paul's gold dolphin in a box on his desk.  I had thought it completely lost the last few months but there it was all the time.  The dolphin was Paul's spirit animal, mine is the buzzard, I shall wear the dolphin on its gold chain though.  Note though they are not animals but bird and fish.

The other good thing is a little five year old boy called Tony, he is a double amputee of both legs but has decided to follow Captain Tom on a walking fund raising for his hospital, now reached the dizzy heights of half a million pounds





8 comments:

  1. You must have been so relieved to have found Paul's golden dolphin. Oh, and little Green Eyes too! I bet she was pleased to have her freedom again.

    Gosh, half way through the year and 3 months of it in the slammer! I imagine the folk who are normally there for the Solstice will have to celebrate closer to home this year. I think many people will be glad to see 2020 behind them and the hope of a vaccine and/or effective treatment for Covid-19.

    Well done to Tony. I think I vaguely saw a clip of hik with Captain Tom on the news the other day.
    BTW, I enjoyed reading your History clip yesterday. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually not too sure what to do about Green Eyes, getting fond of her is not going to help when I move. This Covid has really stopped our worlds for the time being. The dolphin reminded me of the key for a box I went in search of. Could not find it anywhere, so I took the box to the ironmongers and had the lock removed. A few weeks later I picked up a statue I would never touch and there the key was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a strong little boy Tony is - and he is to be admired. I taught several children who were victims of the thalidomide drug in my teaching days - children who appeared to have come to terms with it. Last night there was a video of a lady who was a keen gardener who was similarly handicapped and seemed also to have comes to terms with it. Such people leave me feeling ashamed to ever complain about some triviality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thalidomide was a dreadful drug that took its toil, but then the human spirit always seem to overcome disability, as if the challenge gives them something to fight against.

      Delete
  4. All good things. I am so pleased Green Eyes has returned. And even more please for the spirit of young Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony is a lovely strong little boy who has a determination to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have found something so dear to you that you thought you had lost. I love the idea of a spirit animal, I don't know much about that. I wonder does it choose you or you it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't speak for the dolphin but my buzzard introduced himself years ago. Probably he is no more, but one sunday out walking over the land that surrounds Bath, I saw three buzzards on the rails of the racecourse, it turned out that they were introducing a young one to his territory. For several years after that I was always aware of the buzzard when I went up to walk early morning. I became very aware of his presence, and so he introduced me to his way of life. You could say I adopted him as a symbol of the natural world.

      Delete

Love having comments!