Saturday, June 13, 2020

Saturday 13th June




Well once you could do a whole number of things, but then darkness descended in the form of a virus and life came to a standstill.
What am I talking about, well firstly the loss of my Word facility on my computer, the words have dots following them everywhere.  Then the printer started to play up (this is a long story), it needed ink, but lo and behold, there is no ink out there in computer land.   Hey says HP have you heard of 'instant ink'. Sounds interesting, but unfortunately the make of printer in the study is no longer listed all I wanted to do was write a letter for goodness sake.  Shuffled round in the drawer of my desk and found old fountain pen, soaked it in hot water to make it work again.  Letter written.  
What conclusions have I drawn from this long exercise? I hate built in obsolescence, will not buy a new printer but wait  till W.H.Smith opens in Malton to see if they have the ink, will also practice diligently with my writing to  improve my neatness!

Happy birthday Lillie

It is Lillie's birthday today, she is 14.  I see from the photo that it is Xmas, that is how long I have not seen her.  She has grown into a capable young girl and I miss that young child who could be so obstinate and loved chocolate cake with such a passion.





Happier times, Lillie with the famous 'loser' sign and her furry boots worn all summer.



12 comments:

  1. Sad that like a lot of us we cannot at the moment share our grand children's birthdays, but there will other times I 'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly meals with Lillie is the fact that she would refuse to eat her mandatory 3 mouthfuls of greens and would spend hours at the table playing with her food;)

      Delete
  2. I did break down and buy a new printer which was very cheap but works great! I love the picture with Lillie and the cute boots and "loser" sign - so precious! My oldest granddaughter will be 15 soon - they do grow so quickly! Thanks for sharing these sweet family moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What keeps me back from buying a new one is I create rubbish by throwing away a printer that works. Sadly they do grow so quickly she is the youngest now.

      Delete
  3. Anyone named Lily is OK with me. This Lily has a lot of extra spunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is very sweet though having a definite mindset of her own Joanne.

      Delete
  4. I had to ditch a perfectly good and little used "Kodak" printer because the required ink cartridges were no longer available. I suspect that you would be able to locate the cartridges you need via Amazon. Why not search there Thelma?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did try Amazon but they seem very pricey, think because of the shortage someone is trying to make a pretty penny out of it all. I am not worrying anyway, have been looking at camcorders if I am going to spend money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always strangely heartened when I hear of people not only being resourceful like this, but using the energy to write letters! I love snail mail and I noticed that the quantity of it was reduced in the last few months... not sure if it was just the junk mail or if I actually got less personal mail. But I have written a few cards and letters myself, being sick of this "virtual" world we have been lately confined to. Somehow the physicality of ink and paper makes them seem closer to human touch than even a phone call does. Though the sound waves are real, too... Thanks for a thought-provoking and encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have become used to the tidiness of emails, so when confronted by untidy writing it is a bit of a shock. But writing must be continued and it is pleasant to write with a fountain pen but if you get it wrong have to start all over again.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!