Friday, January 29, 2021

Friday 29th January 2021

Well I am not a Netflix fan and we had never taken out a subscription to Sky or even Amazon as a matter of principle, i.e. lining rich men's pockets with even more money.  I have tried Netflix in the past but found looking for a decent film hard work or perhaps I have not the patience to sit still for a long time.

So my choice has been thrown back on 'freeview' which has a choice of our regular tv shows.  So I explore what really interests me. 

First off, is the 'Investigation', this true story though dramatised to a fictional story is about 'The Submarine Man' and is set in Denmark.  Cleverly done, we do not meet the murderer at any stage but it is the forensic evidence that brings closure on his conviction.  That is where my interest lies, the slow process of evaluating the evidence till there can be no mistake, which is needed under Danish law. It was the wretched murder of the journalist Kim Wall, in the homemade submarine and then the cutting of the body up and throwing into the sea.  Much of the drama lay with the divers at sea and the calculations of wind and current, it was a lesson in how clever the human mind is at working things out. 

Next, 'Finding Alice'  Original in the sense that it is about a 'smart house' and burying the body of her beloved husband in the garden.  It is not particularly humorous but as the opening scene unfolds with the wife, hunting round her beautifully cupboarded kitchen with nothing on the kitchen surfaces.  She sinks in despair against one of them "where's the bloody fridge?" she asks and in that she encompasses our bright Western world creating a modern kitchen.  You know the one I am talking about, the one that flows into the living area, so that the family can all be together! Just think about it.

Lastly, 'The Pembrokeshire Murders' which is of course another true story.  Again the forensic evidence gets the killer. Played beautifully by Keith Allen, who turns this way and that like a weasel, trying to implicate his son as the murderer, and then in the final scene when he is led away having been found guilty - a really nasty case.

So I wait for the next series, but the importation of new series from  Scandinavia, Italy and France surely expands our world.

8 comments:

  1. Must try these. With Covid. which means not many new programmes are being made, there is so little to watch at the moment isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding Alice and Pembrokeshire Murderers are on ITV hub Pat. The Investigation on BBC 2 I think.

      Delete
  2. We really enjoyed The Pembrokeshire Murders, all the more for knowing it was based on a true story.
    I do know what you mean about Netflix. We were also determined not to enrich the already rich but succumbed to Netflix a year or so ago. We've found it annoying that there are so many dreadful movies on it. We have found a few good things and the series we really enjoyed watching on it was "Hinterland", not dissimilar from the Pembrokeshire Murders, also set in Wales and very engaging. It was worth subscribing just for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Jean, as I love the Pembrokeshire coast, the thought of someone coming along with a shotgun and killing you on this beautiful stretch of coast seemed ridiculous. But he did. Yes I watched 'Hinterland' as well another good Welsh series. I think it is landscape that appeals in all these foreign and Welsh stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed The Serpent very much. It is on iplayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will try it, the name 'Serpent' rather put me off, I don't like anything too violent!

      Delete
  5. I have Netflix and the best thing about it, for me, is all of the British shows that are now available to me. The Crown, The Hinterland, Broadchurch, Happy Valley, The Repair Shop, The Great British Baking Show, The Last Tango in Halifax, etc. - I really enjoyed these and many more. But maybe you have access to these on your regular channels. I hadn't seen any of these until Netflix since I am in the US.
    My PBS channel carries lots of great British shows too - I am enjoying All Creatures Great and Small right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Ellen they occasionally pop up on 'free view' ITV Hub, but I can see the value of Netflix if you want to watch British series.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!