Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Tuesday 5th January 2021

 Well here we go again, I wonder how long this lockdown will go on for.  How long will the viruses mutate leaving us for years unsure?  Humankind has smashed the barrier of  the natural world.  We have multiplied pushing other species to extinction.  Clever enough to produce vaccinations but not clever enough to stop an exploding world population.  Parallels can be drawn with the virus, who let free on the world mutates happily as we try to stop it.  Only we don't mutate, we just learn by experience that our actions can often be very destructive, we are one step behind not in front unfortunately.

I've got a cold, well I think it is a cold ;) can't be sure though! So a certain amount of gloom and despair might affect my writing.  The weather balances between sunshine and showers, there is a sogginess to the garden but I take to my spinning wheel for calmness, and to fill in the time this morning before I start to order an iphone.  In other words something that will replace the terrible mobile I have.  Not sure a cleverer phone will be any better, or the fact that the multiple safety guards my bank puts up will be overriden but still, technology rules.

My birthday next weekend, my daughter says don't refuse any parcels that might come via the post.  I have treated myself to some wool for crochetng another blanket, crocheting squares is a mindless activity though you have to follow a pattern of course but it all becomes automatic in the end.

Coffee calls, the crows are grumbling in the trees, I wonder what they think of winter, in their world of course bird flu isn't on the menu.

Yesterday I was reading from Aubrey Burl's 'Prehistoric Avebury' a little story caught my eye.  It was about 'Dr.Toope' I think in the 17th century, who on finding rows of skeletons by the Sanctuary stone circle, had taken the bones and ground them up for medicine.  Now I am not too sure whether they were prehistoric or much later Saxon bones, but I doubt very much they were a cure.

13 comments:

  1. What a dumb thing Dr Toope did. A bit like rhino horns or tiger bones in traditional Chinese "medicine" and just as tragic. I hope your sniffle disappears very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is always surprising what people believe, and it is still going on!

      Delete
  2. We recently changed our old, sluggish and uncooperative Samsung mobiles for an iPhone 7SE each. The difference is amazing and much as I resent the hold that technology and apps have on us sometimes you just have to give in and go with the flow in order to get on with life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I have just been pricing them out. As always Apple is expensive, and I am a bit wary of the contractual thing, but thanks for endorsing them.

      Delete
    2. We got ours as SIM only, unlocked, with no contract just by buying the phone outright (from Currys). We had them set up and working with our existing numbers within 24 hours. The 7SE is nice and small like our old phones and not too expensive compared to other iPhones. The camera is very good.

      Delete
  3. I've had a few coughs and sniffles over the last few months - since we've stayed so isolated I suspect they were reactions to household chemicals, etc.

    Perhaps an infusion of Dr Toope's bones might have been good for runny noses. Even if it were, I think I'd rather have a runny nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I expect it is the weather, cold and miserable at this time of the year.

      Delete
  4. I have had a runny nose and tickle cough since April or May! I wonder if I am actually allergic to being in my house! Not a terrible disease but just annoying and I go through lots of kleenex!
    My kids bought me an Iphone SE and it has lots of things that I am learning to use bit by bit and lots of things I will never use, I think. BUT I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still debating what to buy but everyone seems to be recommending this particular phone. Will consult my children as they both have Apple phones.

      Delete
  5. Hope your bit of a cold is just that but what we would ignore in normal times suddenly grows horns and gets scary now. I am sure a better iphone will be a good investment.

    I will pass on the ground bones (and ground mummies and whatever else long dead is deemed to be beneficial).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely a cold, though both my daughter and myself rarely suffer them. I suppose ground bones is 'sympathetic' medieval medicine. Glad we have moved on since then.

      Delete
  6. Yes, we certainly did thaw the permafrost and release the virus. I wonder what we have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are always learning to survive Joanne, I suppose it is called the indomitable spirit..........

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!