Monday, January 18, 2021

Monday 18th January


Everyone is dreaming about breaks and holidays. So where would I go? and the answer came swiftly, back to Wales to visit Solva, St. Davids and St. Non.  Visiting the old saints on this headland, looking out to St. Brides Bay.

Years of wandering along with old Moss, up the path overlooking Solva, the sweet smell of wild honeysuckle to remind me.  I always used to stay in a holiday cottage in the middle of nowhere.  But when I looked at a cottage near the Prescili Hills, the price quite shook me.  I expect we shall all be fleeing to the countryside when travelling is allowed.  When I took Paul to visit this favourite place we stayed at the Cambrian Inn a couple of times, the food was good and we took our American friends there.

I found my old blogs on the saints, why was I so captivated by them I wonder.  Probably to do with the landscape, which though it changes over the centuries still holds the memories of the past.

Paul and I were going to go to the Lake District a couple of years ago, somewhere I have never been, to me it looked very touristy and crowded but beautiful of course.  But Solva was one of the places I would have happily moved to. Paul liked it at Middle Mill, an old weaving mill now, the small hamlet of houses is very picturesque.  He had ideas about making paper there because the river Solva that ran through was so clean.



Past dreams, that was what the couple in that Canadian island home was talking about, we all have different dreams.  We dream ourselves out of the lives we live in now, not perhaps a good thing at all.

And to get back to normal things, the man from Morrison's comes this morning, and I have to get in touch with Vodaphone, because my old Sim card will not fit in my new phone!

The Bishop's Palace at St. Davids



https://northstoke.blogspot.com/2014/03/noting-st.html

https://northstoke.blogspot.com/2007/05/saint-david-date-of-birth-variously.html

https://northstoke.blogspot.com/2011/07/stnon-and-her-chapel.html

8 comments:

  1. Getting out and about again - maybe when the weather turns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to get over the next batch of wet weather of course, will there be flooding I wonder?

      Delete
  2. My travelling days are over sadly but I have a great pile of memories of touring the world with both of my husbands. There is really nowhere I wish to go now - without one or the other of them it wouldn't be the same. I live in beautiful countryside so round here will do now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pat one can live with memories, getting older leaves the wanderlust on the wane ;)

      Delete
  3. Travel is so filled with constrictions these days. I would love the freedom of travel to distant places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well some would argue Tabor that if travel had been halted earlier on during the pandemic it would not be so restricted now. But I'm sure at some stage we will all be be able to move around once more.

      Delete
  4. I find that I've read at least part of your January posts but not commented on any, so connecting with the latest one. In terms of where have I wished to travel--I wish that I could have come to Great Britain, to explore places that have featured in books and to see the parts of England and Scotland that were long ago a part of my maternal lineage. Obviously, that's not going to happen!
    Also the comments on school meals. My first 6 years of schooling were in a rural one room setting. Lunch pails from home were the norm until it was noticed that the children of a very large French Canadian family had nearly nothing to eat all day. The 'hot lunches' that became possible were prepared in successive years by two neighborhood women. The meals would be considered 'comfort food' I think--high in carbs, homely casseroles, canned veg or fruit and a simple dessert--tasty and reasonably nourishing.
    As an adult I occasionally substituted as an assistant cook for the local lunch program. The meals were well-balanced, nourishing, attractively prepared. What was interesting was the number of children who even then [1980-90's] turned up their little noses at 'real' food. Such a waste to see good food being tipped into the garbage bin and the urchins returning hopeful of an extra cookie.
    Here and now, lunches are being delivered to school children who are at home to the Covid-19 closings--no idea what the lunches contain.
    There were times in years past when my food budget was painfully small--as you pointed out, being thrifty and knowing how to cook made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon, lovely to hear your reminiscences. Children and food what images it brings up of screwed up faces of disgust. Tom my eldest grandson, declared at about 3 years old he was allergic to cheese. His mother though would smuggle it into his food but he still hates it.
    You would not like Britain at the moment, we are drowning under the latest batch of rain and outside the house some traffic is sweeping through the flooding on the road.
    The argument against food poverty is very simple. How, in a rich country can people be hungry. The argument of course addresses the problem at the moment which is of course bedevilled by the pandemic, children are having a fortnight holiday and parents cannot afford food. Foodbanks have multiplied but they are a temporary measure, food vouchers or a straight payment is called for what is needed.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!