Friday, February 12, 2021

Friday 12th February 2021



The weather absorbs us all, but sadly has been beaten by the virus that changes and laughs at our anxieties. But for the last couple of days the sun has come out, the wind has died, and the crisp white snow as it crunches below our feet has given a winter wonderland.  My only anxiety will there be enough food for the cat and dog till my home delivery arrives on Monday.  Becoming lazy about going out is a worrying feature, though whether I could get my car off the drive is another matter.



Yesterday I went into the living room and the sun greeted me as it illuminated the room, I could not be unhappy for that moment, as my mind went to Paul and his love of this house.  For me sometimes the memories are too painful but then again I rejoice for those last few years he was happy here, sitting on the bench outside in the front with his beer. In the warm summer evenings  he would be perfectly at one with the world.



So how do I keep myself occupied apart from knitting and crocheting another blanket.  Well the four hours of 'The Trump Show' has filled my time somewhat.  Watching this cunning, self-important man unpicked by friend and foe alike, my mind keeps asking - how can people vote for him?   He wriggles out of everything, in fact I begin to admire such a ruthless idiot, he takes to the stage like a Roman emperor, tossing aside the broken bodies of anyone who questions him.  Is it that we must have a 'personality' in charge no matter how terrible that personality is I wonder? Mayors of London comes to mind, Livingstone and Johnson, picked by the people to stir things up!

All I will say and then hopefully he will disappear into the annals of history, is that the assault on the Capitol was extraordinary.  You have to visualise it happening to the Houses of Parliament.  People wander round the interior of our governmental offices, flocks of schoolchildren, all peaceful, the matters of governance argued out.  Then those terrifying pictures in America of people scaling the terrace, ramming down glass doors and those poor policemen unable to cope.  I am not sure I like living through historic times!

I am grateful for the BBC and its news and ability to chronicle the world around me, let the Conservative party raise one finger against it and I shall personally bite it off.  Figuratively speaking that is.

It has been the coldest night so far -5% in York so it said on my tablet, in Scotland of course even colder, though the weather will warm up next week.

Good news this week, there seems mounting evidence that the Bluestone's of Stonehenge do definitely come from Waun Mawn in Pembrokeshire..

Waun Mawn


14 comments:

  1. Lovely post today Thelma - cheered me up no end. I know that feeling of losing the will to actually get up and go out - not that I can at present as I am not mobile enough. Your sitting room looks so inviting - wish I could sit there and have a cup of tea with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be lovely to sit and have a cup of tea with you Pat. Perhaps one day, when everything returns to normal I might make it down to your corner of the world.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't recommend figuratively biting off the Tory party's finger. You risk E. coli, campylobacter, listeria, and heaven knows what else - cronyitis, Hancock's Complaint, Gove's disease? You'd probably need a course of figurative antibiotics afterwards, at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very funny, I think being equipped with a cynical viewpoint helps.

      Delete
  3. They (not necessarily the Conservatives, though they help) are doing to the BBC what the managers of the Post Office did to their institution. Dismantle it, bit by bit, until everyone gets so fed up with the shockingly bad service that they willingly use private alternatives. Even the head of ITV thinks that the BBC is a rare cherished public service broadcaster which should be protected against the Murdochs of this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a lot of opinion elsewhere but there is something solid about the BBC, almost the backbone of Britishness I suppose. It has always been there!

      Delete
  4. The sun can make such a difference even when it is so cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes out in the garden Ellen it was quite warm, and then of course the sun goes down.

      Delete
  5. You room looks so warm and inviting and those good memories of your husband are important even if painful. I learn from those who manage to struggle on. Your banner photos always has me wondering if someone could walk/hike up to that stone mountain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a granite tor to be precise Tabor, not as big as a mountain. There are several in Cornwall and by these tors you will find early prehistoric sites. They have strange build up of stones, piled one upon another, something to do with the ice age I think of long ago.

      Delete
  6. I agree about the quality of the BBC but I wish they would stop reporting as "news" something they just happen to have a programme about the same evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pet crossness is the fact that we hardly hear any world news, Yemen, Palestine and the Chinese persecution of the Uyghur people.

      Delete
  7. Every day, snow. Then, although it is very cold the sun shines brightly enough to melt the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well though the sun shines here the snow remains, throwing a white light on everything.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!