Saturday, February 13, 2021

Saturday 13th February 2021

 Today I was going to write about Gary Denke and the 'Teeth of Stonehenge', written by his ancestor in the 17th Century but I will put that aside for another day.

My tablet and phone ping every time some notification happens.  This morning it was the monthly 'Fruity Knitting podcast.  I love knitting and have indulged myself with wool now and then.  But these Australian couple who live in Germany with their beautiful daughter have made it their livelihood.  The husband Andrew is sadly very ill with a brain tumour, but at the moment is being treated in a clinic.

What I admire about the family is how they resolutely set forth with great courage to overcome his illness and to bring to the screen, through the use of a podcast knitwear designers from everywhere.

Today's podcast (one hour, 20 minutes long) covered (10 minutes) a small time brewery in Denmark and the enthusiam of the brewery manager for creating beers was infectious. I remember finding hops in the hedgerow in Essex, and it brought back memories of our favourite pub which was called 'The Cats'.  Basically dogs and children were not allowed inside!

But then we went on to a young Scottish knitwear designer and her work and the rather magical repair job she does on old jumpers. Her name is Collingwood- Norris and she is so sweetly young that I feel like an ancient oak against her enthusiasm.  I am noting this video for my granddaughter Matilda, who is doing a fashion design course and hopes to be a fashion journalist. 

Not all is lost out in the world, our young will bring back the world, not as we knew it but to their own design - have faith.


The snow still lingers, this morning the sky was the palest blue with pastel pink tinged clouds.  The trees skeletal black branches a striking contrast against the sky.

Some photos of the Cats pub, with Wally the owner, who apart from the pub also had in his collection two great fair steam engines..

Wally

A Ploughman's lunch

Cats Pub

Everywhere cats but not real ones


12 comments:

  1. Hello Thelma,

    How right you are. "The young will bring back our world, not as we knew it but to their own design". This is such a wise and thoughtful phrase. We really do believe that the young are all our futures and try to support young people in their endeavours as best as we can.

    One can but admire young people trying to set up new businesses in these strange and difficult times, but the enthusiasm and energy that they bring to the enterprise will surely carry them through. It is heartwarming and inspiring to hear these young people making their hopes and dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I think you are absolutely right we should have faith in the young. Their energy in whatever field should be cherished and supported.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I could eat that much cheese in one go. Ah, the inside of a good-looking pub. I had almost forgotten. I liked the music of the intro to that podcast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could either have a large chunk of cheese or pate. What I loved was the little packets of salad cream, butter and Branston that accompanied them.

      Delete
  3. That young woman is so impressive and so skilled! I hope her talents and confidence carry her far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her creative skills were very impressive Ellen.

      Delete
  4. "The Cats" at Woodham Walter - looks like a perfect English country pub. Let us pray that it survives this pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You looked it up! It is in the middle of nowhere. I think for Wally the pub was a hobby as he only opened a few days a week with his partner who created the food.

      Delete
  5. I am thinking of the man with the brain tumour. That is what the farmer had - a glioblastoma - it took away the man I loved months before he finally died. The family are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry if that brought sad memories Pat. Andrew the husband seems to be holding on and his family are very brave and determined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could learn to mend sweater holes. I have tried and tried.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think embroidery skills are called for Joanne, proper darning is rather boring.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!