Wednesday, September 15, 2021

15th September 2021 - Canals

 Last Things Last - Paul Klee

In the heart's centre

The only prayers

are steps 

receding.


I found this yesterday on Bensozia's blog, its simplicity of words catches the attention. It seems Klee only wrote two small poems, at least on the internet.  All I can remember was an exhibition of his work years ago which we visited in Switzerland.  My love of modern paintings is somewhat limited sadly.

Yesterday the weather drizzled, fretted if you must, and I walked along the canal snapping what I saw.  Firstly yellow daisies which provide a blaze of colour against the grey of the walls.  Even managed a bee.  On my F/B I have some brilliant photos from others on the Marlborough Downs, birds so clear you could stroke a feather.  Envy has left my soul, I now look at people's fabulous photos on the blogs here and am content;)



The canal was grey and damp, enlivened by ducks swimming with small wakes behind them, and a whole row fast asleep on the opposite bank.

Called Carpe Diem.  I like the frivolous side to this boat, the monkey on the front and when I walked back there was a dog hanging out of the stern sleeping.

Do canal boats give you freedom I wonder, it seems to me there is a lot of work to do but I like the idea of owning one.


The mob, on the lookout for food

It is lovely to have my grandchildren around, they find my stick when we go out, though I don't really need one and take my arm on the tricky bits, which include cobbles and slopes.  I sometimes feel that maybe I am getting old too quickly but the concern is touching and I am grateful.


8 comments:

  1. Go to Skyravenwolf FB page (you will want to follow, their artwork and leatherwork is just AMAZING and all nature-based. They live on a narrow boat, and it is freedom in a sense as you can choose where to go, BUT, you are tied to places to stop at to be near shops (or have Mr Tesco deliver), the PO (for the stuff they sell), and mundane things like taking water and fuel on board, emptying the "facilities" etc etc and as they age they struggle with the physical side of things.

    Sorry that you feel you are ageing too quickly but perhaps the grandchildren are just a bit too quick to "help granny"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennie, you have pinpointed all the problems faced by living on a barge, the concept seems simple but having to moor near facilities is a must. Yes their concern is sweet but it just rubs age in at the moment. I am getting old of course and love my family for the care, so I will just accept the pampering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once ate on a canal boat pulled by horse from Hebden B. Incredible how effortlessly. It was one of the Tetley Brewery horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiet and peaceful being pulled by a horse especially a draught horse!

      Delete
  4. I also read the blog "Hard Up Hester Afloat" and she does a good job of sharing her life on a canal boat. It is hard work but she seems to like it anyway! Here's a link to her: https://snittykittys.blogspot.com/
    Yes, we are getting old...I really am starting to feel it and it isn't often pleasant! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link Ellen, I think I have seen her blog.

      Delete
  5. Is there really anything as yellow as the yellow of those flowers?As to life on the canal - I had dear friends - alas both long gone - who adored canal life. Occasionally we went with them (first husband and I) but on the canals I found the locks such a bind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the television programmes of canal journeys such as Prunella Scales and Timothy West took Pat.

      Delete

Love having comments!