Thursday, September 2, 2021

2nd September 2021

Alfred Walter Bayes - A Chartist Meeting at Basin Rocks

Plastic in the 19th century meant pliable and easily shaped. I say this because of the following verse in which the word appears.  Which I came across, and is a song written for the turbulent times when working class people 'up North' tried to bring about change. It happened, slowly though and probably not in the lives of these people.  We are what we are today because some people challenged the conventional view of the day. We need this today that our present government also needs to be challenged, maybe the issues are different, but some might ask are we going to bring back workhouses and poor houses, no of course not but the deep divisions still lie at the base of our society.

We're low we're low we're rabble we know

 Yet at our plastic power 

The mould at the lordling's feet will grow 

Into palace and church and tower 

Then prostrate fall in the rich man's hall

 Cringe at the rich man's door 

We're not too low to build the wall 

Too low to tread the floor 


I have been listening to music this morning, loved this track that 'Lovely Grey Day' featured, rather appropriate as we wait to rid ourselves of the pandemic that hangs over us. 'It looks Like a Beautiful Day'


It will not answer the terrible problems in the world but it is  uplifting. A sea of faces, how can that be? 2017.



6 comments:

  1. Some want others to be judged by what they do not what they say, but not themselves. Just take a ride on a train in Kent, then compare it with trains in Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading about 'Radical Todmorden here.....http://www.pennineheritage.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Radical-Todmorden.pdf
    Trying in my mind to marry together the protest marches we see today, with what took place yesteryear. I agree South and North do see things differently. I expect both North and South trains have one thing in common - mobile phones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just listened to this track in its entirety - the sun has come out - all's right in my little world here in the North (I am a Northern lass - never lived further south than Wolverhampton) Sometimes - for a while- one can forget the troubles of the world and this track made me do just at - so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Pat. It is definitely upbeat.

      Delete
  4. Love Elbow!
    I'm not Northern or Southern - I'm from Suffolk - we don't count ourselves as either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never come across them but I loved the music Sue. I'm from the Midlands, don't belong anywhere!

      Delete

Love having comments!