Monday, November 22, 2021

22nd November 2021



Monday comes with icy fingers.  Visitors have gone.  My darling eldest grandson bought his new  (and hopefully permanent) love to see us.  Life goes on.  HMGuest also came for the weekend, so we sit on the wobbly school benches round the table and I marvel that I have reached an age to see my grandchildren grown up.

This morning I am listening to Susurrations, and listen to words that still have so much meaning for many people.  Listen to the sound of trees,  and wander along with John Claire, Edward Thomas and Thomas Hardy amongst the susurration of leaves.

I picked it up on Paul Knights landscape blog, he writes of the  area that I am living in now, he seems to live near  Hebden Bridge and vividly describes the landscape, and I see he also mentions another blog on my side list which is Patrick Laurie's blog Bog Myrtle and Peat.  Laurie's book has been published, Native, Life in a Vanishing Landscape.  Like me he is sad about the decline of the curlews, my most favourite bird of the moors.  Their cry always captures me with a sudden wrench of despair or joy I cannot tell.

Eskdalemuir

Patrick Laurie's farm is in Galloway, a landscape we visited, four years ago maybe. I remember staying in the Tibetan styled huts overlooking a river.  We had gone there to the Tibetan Monastery, and I had been intrigued by this retreat, often though of going there myself.  What stops me.  Well no religion for a start.  And the thought that I don't need to find myself which I consider a great conceit by the way, I quite like making my soulless way through the universe without trappings.

I see many links but they are for myself to pick up in later times.  A record of what happens now.

Edit; Instructions about sitting on school benches. ALWAYS SIT IN THE MIDDLE.  The times those bloody benches have catapulted people onto the floor is fairly numerous ;)

4 comments:

  1. I have often thought of retreats too Thelma but as a Humanist I find they mostly seem religion based. I have a friend who runs them in various parts of the North and their content seems to suit me perfectly but still I hesitate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have always noticed such things as craft based holidays as well but retreats are something else Pat. And as you say the religious element is not wanted just a quiet place and good food;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you walk in circles you will eventually find yourself but you will have to be quick to catch up.

    Memo to self: Avoid school benches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if I make it up to Keswick, Castlerigg Stone circle is not far for walking so plenty of circling there. Glad you have taken heed of my warning....

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!