Friday, November 26, 2021

Eagles buzzing over Somerset

Looking from Solsbury Hill.  In the distance Freezing Hill with its inappropriate stand of poplars


Would you believe it? I have so missed my Bath walks over the downs.  Did Tom's eagle really fly over Solsbury, the Iron Age hillfort you have to slog up a steep hill to see.  Overlooking the A46 this is where the Cotswold hills slowly come to a halt.  The landscape round Bath, at least on the North-East side, is beautiful, if you were to follow the little lane below from the village you would come to St.Catherine's Valley, secretively beautiful.

Actually we should not be too surprised that eagles are flying round the Somerset area there is enough space for everyone. The following video is such a joyful expression of song and excitement it always lifts me.....


So to days of walking long gone now.   I remember the walks I took with dear old Moss as we discovered the hidden landscape, for under all that scenery past lives had played their part.  Romans had come to  Aqua Sulis, Goddess of the Waters, to heal themselves in the hot waters.  The old tracks still remained, the battles fought on the high ground Royalists against Cromwellians still marked, even when you look over to  Bristol in the distance the old first world war teaching trenches carved into the hillside.  Prehistoric man had also left his mark around Bath as well in Bronze age barrows.



16 comments:

  1. Thelma it lifted me too and also brought tears to my esys. Hadn't heard it before - such beautiful sound echoing over the landscape, such spontaneity from the crown - what a joyous way to start a day when we are due to have a storm up here in the North East, x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Pat. The first thing I heard this morning was 'Anthem' by Leonard Cohen, which in its own way is uplifting, though rather dirge like. Then I heard Melanie on 'Desert Island Disc' and it reminded me of the music I used to play years ago, Melanie and Mozart what a mix ;)

      Delete
  2. 25 young White-tailed Sea Eagles were released on the Isle of Wight in 2019 with the eventual hope of starting a new breeding population there. Until those eagles reach breeding age they have been wandering around both Southern England and mid-Europe, tracked by the tracking devices that they have been fitted with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that is why we are seeing them so far South Derek. Will they settle I wonder, are balances being upset also. A group of Great Bustard birds was introduced to Salisbury Plain and seems to be settling in.

      Delete
    2. I heard that the Bustards are no more.

      Delete
    3. Well it says nothing on the website Tom, they seem too be saying they have over a hundred birds. https://greatbustard.org/

      Delete
  3. Do you remember the Mead Tea Gardens in St Catherine's Valley? I met Peter Gabriel there once when I was having a walk with a mutual friend and we all had tea and cakes for a couple of hours. It took about an hour before I realised who he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I never went, all I know of the valley is that Jane Seymour once lived there, and that my friends went to buy a cottage down there but the next door person was so horrible about boundaries they gave up the idea.

      Delete
    2. I briefly rented a shed at St Catherine's Court from Jane Seymour to house a telescope. The place used to be let out to pop stars for raucous parties.

      Delete
    3. I remember that years ago, a lot of complaints about noise and something about alcohol licences. Considering the house was in the middle of the countryside not sure what the fuss was about, except.............

      Delete
  4. You have hiked in magical places! Lovely for me to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The area around Bath is very beautiful Ellen, and just about 6 miles down the road is Bradford-on-Avon, another pretty town.

      Delete
  5. I remember doing the Bath skyline walk and enjoying that very much - wherever we alk, so long as there is a connection, we make lasting memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true Mark, like an indelible pen it scores the memory.

      Delete
  6. You are right Thelma, "Solsbury Hill" is an uplifting song and rather mysterious too. It was fun to see Peter Gabriel cycling around the stage - returning to Solsbury Hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a joyous song, and the young are so happy with it. Looking at the different landscapes Yorkshire and the Cotswold and I realise that farming went over the hills down South whereas Northern parts are bleak because of non-farming.

      Delete

Love having comments!