Tuesday, December 28, 2021

28th December 2021

I read a lot of blogs, from one I took this view of the 'Woke Society', he is by the way 100% left in his thinking, so I was somewhat surprised to read his version of this controversial word.  My own reaction to it is that we interpret as we see fit and according to our own biases.  Yet I can see in his analysis the thinking of younger people, who have not as yet learnt to be tolerant.  Woke in fact has become a catch-all phrase to describe something you don't like at the moment, and by being 'correct' in the eyes of your equals and group.  I think he pinpoints it in "diversity of thought is not". After all how can you have a discussion when you are not allowed to speak!

Woke Identity - Identity Politics

  • Society is intrinsically racist/sexist/patriarchal and colonialist and must be destroyed in its present state.
  • Inclusion and diversity of appearance is good, diversity of thought is not.
  • Class politics is unimportant, and so is the 20th century.
  • Wrong think must be punished, for which there will be no forgiveness.
  • If you disagree with any of these thoughts you are a fascist, racist, white supremacist, Nazi.
  •  taken from here:  Left in New Zealand
  • -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I saw that E.O.Wilson had died this month at the age of 92 years old.  You may ask who is he, and I would reply famous for the study of ants and making the environment a better place for all the species that are finding it difficult to thrive..  I only ever bought one book of his, and, truth here,  found it dull but it is this painstaking scientific studies that open the world to us and make it possible for us to battle against the onward tide of plastic into our oceans and our degradation of land.





10 comments:

  1. Thank you for that intro and link. Much of what he says I agree with even though I don't identify myself as 'left'. I like that it appears to be based on wide reading and research, and will follow it for a while to challenge myself to read views that aren't trivial, views that I sometimes won't agree with, but which make me think and take stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't write often, in fact at one stage he came off my list ;) But he has excellent points, I just don't like his two column approach.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link - certainly a thought provoking post. From my perspective, it seems that the current obsession with identity politics is very much a product of a certain kind of (arts/humanities) graduate largely employed in the public sector and entirely divorced from the realities of earning a living in the real outside world. Their secure public sector employment protects them from all of the issues that confront the majority of people working in the actual productive sector who have no time for such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a difficult one in a complex changing world. There is talk/written evidence that it is also used as a provoking tool politically to create unrest amongst us. Can it be that we have reduced our intelligence to such idiocy.

      Delete
  3. I think actions speak louder than words. Kindness, fairness, peace...treat others the way you want to be treated. Arguing over terms only divides us more. "All you need is love..."
    Wishing you peace and joy, Thelma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, the trouble is humans don't always play at being nice ;)

      Delete
  4. At least you are not trying to interpret "Lets go Brandon.' which is the latest Conservative "fun" way of swearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I had to go and look that one up Tabor. America is a very scary place with such deep diversions. Also I believe no one outside the country takes Trump and his right to presidency as anything but wishful thinking on his part.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the link to what looks like a most interesting blog. I have long thought a lot of what he said, about divisions being created as a diversion. We need to come together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes he is a good link and it is interesting to see a strong viewpoint. Politically I think the game of diversion has gone on long enough.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!