Monday, December 27, 2021

"Dance me to the children who are asking to be born"

“Migration” is a central concept in both population genetics and archaeology, but its meaning has evolved in divergent ways in the course of the development of these disciplines.  Population geneticists use “migration” to refer to any movement of genetic material from one region to another which would see even low-level symmetrical exchanges of mates between adjacent communities as representing migration, while archaeologists restrict its use to processes that result in significant demographic change due to permanent translocation of people from one region to another. In European archaeology, discussions of prehistoric migrations have become fraught due to the ways in which theories of migration were exploited politically in the early-mid twentieth century, when movement of large numbers of people over short times was sometimes argued to be a primary mechanism for the spread of ethnic groups and archaeological reconstructions of such events were used to justify claims on territory."  taken from here

A Christmas thought:  Betsey Louisa who was my biological mother.

A couple of months ago I mentioned that I was a 'war baby' and then whilst my granddaughter was sifting through her respective ancestors she had put  the name of my birth mother on the tree.  It resulted in a surprised query from a member of another family - how can that be?

Correspondent followed,  and it worked out that my mother had been staying with her sister in Wolverhampton at the time of my birth, facts merged and my notional half brother informed me that there were seven siblings I had never met, I had been accepted.

I was as a baby adopted by my patriarchal grandfather and his Belgium wife Catherine, my father never actually acknowledging me had married someone else after my birth.  Those were the times. I wrote to B and he sent me photos of the family, but we had decided not to pursue the relationship so late on in life.

So surprise yesterday when he sent a Christmas message, and another one this morning, in answer back, it sent me thinking.  Apparently I have my mother's eyes and dimples and she at Xmas always collected great quantities of food (similar in this house).

Betsey Louisa

DNA is the in thing on these Ancestry sites, and as a present my daughter has received a kit for Xmas. I have little time for chasing my own history, we have arrived, nothing can alter the facts.  There is general teasing as to what this kit will find out.  I know I only had two children, after all I was born in a time when babies were taken from their mothers and back street abortionists existed - you were careful!

What is more interesting is the waves of immigration that happened over the centuries and the information that is coming out.  From Lucy's time we evolved according to the records but the Brexiteers never accounted for immigration, this makes me laugh.  Our bloodlines are from that continent next door.

I know my mother was Irish, she made the journey across the sea just like those prehistoric persons I imagined trekking across the Preseli Hills.  There is enormous movement of people around the world, at the moment, climate change, economic difficulties and as always war.  They don't really want to be on the move, they want a democratic home country and a home to live in with their families.

Anecdotal story; Listening to the radio the other day and this story came up.  Again someone had sent off their DNA to learn of their genes.  One other person also popped up as well, so the woman got in touch with the man, who really wasn't interested but what had turned up in the test was that their was a Jewish element in the blood test, which he denied as ridiculous.  And so began, by the woman, a tracing of history as to why this particular gene had appeared.  Well both people were born after the war, and their fathers had come back, physically ill and obviously not able to produce fertile sperm.  So the mothers had gone to a Mayfair clinic and had artificial sperm injected.  But, and this where it gets interesting, the donor was the doctor's husband.  The study eventually revealed that there was somewhere between 50 and 60 siblings born of this man and they have now formed a whatsapp group.  Remember the bible - and Adam begat ...........................................

Cheddar Man.   Born 10,000 years ago, he may come as a surprise!  Read about him here.


World's oldest family tree revealed

Science unknots so much fascinating information, humans are intensely curious but perhaps Darwin started a train of thought that will lead us to true understanding and hopefully compassion when we look on those helpless people wandering the world at the moment.



12 comments:

  1. We're all the same under the skin, just divided by our culture and differing beliefs. I am glad you had a Christmas message from B and that hopefully, you will stay in touch. You must be glad you have those elements of your mother in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, at this very late date Jennie, it is only beginning to sink in that some of my genes are part of another person. I never blamed her, but her presence was only revealed when I was in my 50s and was given the information and piece of paper by the two women who probably dealt with such things. B reckoned I was too middle class for his family, the old nature versus nurture theory.

      Delete
  2. What a lot to think about. It appears (like my wife) you automatically have Irish nationality if you want to travel freely around Europe and, perhaps not so late in life for them, your children (like mine) could apply and be granted it too if they wished to work in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I will have to think about that one Tasker, not thinking of travelling anymore though. But as science unfolds our genetics that is something to keep an eye on. I never knew for instance about any inherited diseases, etc.

      Delete
  3. I don't think that we are all the same under the skin really, and I am pleased about that. It is the little cultural and inherited differences that make social life that much more interesting. Just think how the West Indians who were invited over to drive busses etc. have enriched our lives and how that enrichment has continued through their children into the fifth generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they gave us music, song and dance the West Indians Tom, but their young still are not settled as they should be. The Asian community, of which you find many up here, are quietly settling through their children in a much easier way. Racial angst is so stupid.

      Delete
  4. Such a lot of food for thought here Thelma. I know I come from a long line of fenland people on both sides - travel was difficult whenI was conceived ninety years ago and choice of a life time partner restricted mainly to the girls and boys of the village - but as my father always used to say - it's a wise child that knows its own father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pat I have always enjoyed your tales of home history, mine seems so different from many families but it was an experience and good in some places ;)

      Delete
  5. I never knew that that there was so much mystery and uncertainty regarding your own family background. My younger brother has become obsessed with family history but doesn't seem too curious about his living relations. He has never once asked me a question about our lovely Phoebe or indeed her parents. It's all a bit weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has it become 'fashionable' do you think to trace past ancestors? Has your brother met Phoebe? The truth is we should look forward for our family, the past is dead. I have written my history for the children, it is interesting;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice Roberts book "Ancestors" is quite interesting on the topic of DNA and our forebears. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Aril I have seen her on F/B all aglow with excitement. Perhaps I will get it or wait till it comes out on Audible.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!