Sunday, December 12, 2021

Doodling




15.33 and it is getting dark, I keep hearing the whistle of a steam engine, surely not.  Lillie is out posting Christmas cards for the scouts and it is just Teddy and me.

Finished listening to 'The Mountain' by Nan Shepherd and have now got 'Wanderlust' by Rebecca Solnit on my computer, different style and different thoughts but I won't say anything for I know Tasker has this book on his list.  

An annual subscription from my son yesterday to Audible means I have a dozen books to choose from, Amazon has given me the 12 in one go. Of The Mountain book, listening to it read, has given me a different version of how I came to it in the first place and Macfarlane's summing up at the end helped.  Though there is a niggle in my mind about secondary opinions  on the original book.

I have been thinking about internet Xmas cards, some are already arriving in my email.  Tried doing a video one but it did not work, then came across this summer one, white buddleia with butterflies.....


Plant as many buddleia bushes as you can for the butterflies, they need the nectar.  My birthday comes after Xmas, and made to choose the other day as to what I wanted, I suggested a visit to a garden centre.  You can walk along the canal in summer to it, it is only a couple of miles but we shall take the bus and have a meal there.  I have a need for African Violets at the moment, and Barnhaven primroses, double petalled of course.  And hopefully when spring comes around I will find the pale lemon of the wild primrose here.

My son said yesterday but mum you no longer have a garden, but my mind hops round the gardening done in the town, no beautiful old fashioned roses from David Beale's roses do I spy, can I plant one somewhere ;)


I love 'painted' roses, they go against the formality of a perfectly formed rose and blossom with their colour and irregularity.

Laura Keunssberg and the BBC article -  Is Boris Johnson Going to Implode

2 comments:

  1. A steam train passed through Bath yesterday - maybe the same one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be, apparently we did have one yesterday. Must be Father Christmas on his way!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!