Monday, December 20, 2021

Rainbow Plates?

Rainbow plates: I bought these plates because they were pretty, and then was informed by my granddaughter they represented the notion of Rainbow people who exist and go under the acronym of  LGBTIQ.  Now firstly let me stress I do not know the complicated relationship in which gender issues have splayed out.  All I had bought was some plates. 

 Apparently the colours of the rainbow have been painted wrongly says GD L,  be that as it may.  But having bought another two so we had six, GD M dropped one yesterday.  L who is very practical went and bought another two immediately and I thought what a sweet gesture, so that we can all have the same plate on Xmas day.

I am 'woke' to many things, especially social injustice, and how the world operates but such things as gender displacement has passed me by.  The girls will talk of boys wearing skirts, M especially as she studies at a fashion university, saying they can come in in all manner of things.

Thinking about in my day, mini-skirts, crocheted dresses (yes mentioned in crochet lesson;), and the boys with hairstyles and clothes that I giggle at now days, what I see is of course the young in their 'peacock' mood, showing off to the opposite sex.  But as far as LGBTIQ is concerned experimentation in their sexual role in society until one day they arrive at a point of who they are.  Though I think that there could be a more scientific logical reason for sex change.

I love watching the two sisters together, sometimes the temperature boils over the top another time loving acts for each other stresses the strong underlying bond.

10 comments:

  1. From what I recall, we weren't even aware of same sex relationships back in the day - it was rather like Queen Victoria not knowing that it happened.

    Like your colourful plates - why does everything have to have an alternative meaning these days? My friend Trish had a lovely cream crochet mini-dress then, and I remember a suede skirt too. Boys in skirts? Hmmmm. I hope they have the legs for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes innocence was part of our lives, though of course it was hinted at in fiction. And of course there was such cruelty as well. Till rescued by law the lives of some people were truly miserable under the stupidity of the ruling class and their tight little minds. "Boys in skirts" that was my initial response as well, hope they haven't got knobbly knees.. Prejudice is now hunted out of course thank goodness, but whether one accepts all things the younger generation throw at us this is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kilts are skirts are they not? I grew up where kilts and shorts were both common apparel for men and the Shape of the knees was irrelevant (as it should be if the clothing is comfortable and practical).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true of course, we should wear things for comfort, and kilts are considered male wear, and the same type of dress has been with us from Roman times as well. Also of course, look at us females, always in trousers most of the time because they are so comfortable.

      Delete
    2. Good point - the clothing doesn't define us any more than the plate can ONLY stand for diversity. It could, as Ellen points out, just be a pretty plate (and it is). Accepting folk as they see themselves is good if we have enough empathy to notice when they don't actually see themselves but are troubled and searching for ..... something other.

      Delete
    3. Wise words! Thank you and Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  4. Still a long way to go sadly but I suppose we are on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time Pat when we did not know of such things, but the world has crowded in and is creating difference. Simply put we should accept everyone as they see themselves.

      Delete
  5. I don't think that just because a plate has the colors of a rainbow that it stands for the LGBTIQ people - not that there is anything wrong with supporting LGBTIQ merchandise. It could just be a colorful plate! :)
    I think there has always been many different kinds of people with many different preferences but we just didn't know about them. The internet has opened us up to a world of options when it comes to people and I agree with you that we can "accept everyone as they see themselves".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think fashion and branding has a lot to do with it as well. We have always used symbolic motifs to define things. The young are growing up, have to make their mark on the world Ellen as well. The rainbow, apart from being a beautiful natural phenomena also represented all of last year our love for the NHS and what they were doing.

      Delete

Love having comments!