Thursday, May 26, 2022

26th May 2022

“a cesspit full of arrogant, entitled narcissists”.  A quote on No.10 Downing Street.  That is all my political crossness today, I have written it out of my system and will concentrate on other things.



F/B threw up memories today of a little cottage in a hamlet that we went to look at in 2014. All you had to do you was  walk up the lane to the moors.  It was dinky, far too small for all of Paul's great collection but so pretty.  Disadvantages, no garage, no storage, incredibly tiny bedrooms and a well shared with next door.



The bathroom was carpeted in pink right to the top of the bath, it was in fact a memorial left to a deceased wife by the then owner.  The garden was beautiful but peer over the wall at the back and you were looking down a deep ravine, not conducive to young children.  The two rooms downstairs were opened up and an open backed fire stood in the middle.  All beams and chintz, it was cosy but way over the top, I just loved it for its remoteness.


I tried to find some photos of the cottage but obviously I could not have taken any in the cottage.  As I thumbed through 2015 photos came up of Lucy who we had just 'rescued' from Blue Cross in Thirsk and also my trio of hens pottering around. Allowed at last to have a dog, Paul had always said no to animals because of hairs in the studio. I was thrilled with my untidy spaniel and my three hens.  Paul who had never kept a dog in his life, of course fell in love with her as well.  We picked her up from the kennels and drove back up Sutton Bank, we stopped at the picnic place at the top and shared one packet of sandwiches between the three of us, not knowing the song and dance she would lead us through her life.








https://northstoke.blogspot.com/2015/09/wild-geese-by-mary-oliver.html

10 comments:

  1. All the best dogs are like that. We call it 'a song and dance' - they call it 'love'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright Pat I will agree with you but she definitely had some 'spectrum' problem ;)

      Delete
  2. I read that seven word quote at the beginning and immediately "knew that of which she speaks" - to use a Borisism. I've never really been a dog-person, having been nipped when three-years-old and never quite trusted them since. I'm sure I've missed out on a lot of fun as a result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that he, who name shall not be mentioned, has inspired his staff in the lovely vices of arrogance and lies. I was very cross about the way they treated the cleaners and security men. Dogs nip but actual viscious biting is fairly rare. Unfortunate you were bitten so young, it coloured your perspective. A good dog is worth its weight in gold, especially when out walking.

      Delete
  3. The greased piglet escapes to squeal another day - or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't complain, Sunak is offering you some energy money to take your mind off things...

      Delete
  4. We staying in a holiday cottage once that had carpet up the side of the bath. It seemed highly impractical to me, why would you even have a carpet in a bathroom let alone up the side of the bath. Interesting memorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found you in the comments. I think he loved his wife very much, you could see how the house had been kept in memory of her, even to the little corner with small table and two chairs 'where they had breakfast' I think carpet in the bathroom is very unhygenic, wet carpet a bit niffy.

      Delete
  5. Good on facebook, to bring back such a good memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people turn their noses up at F/B but my site offers art, animals, friends and family. Also a quick way to get some attention Joanne.

      Delete

Love having comments!