Saturday, May 7, 2022

Spinning the day away

 So what has the beginning of the day brought me.  Well it has rained overnight as it might have in Camelot. Sour faced Richard Burton will tell you so!  Yesterday afternoon a half dozen spam calls from goodness knows who, my phone dealt swiftly with them, marking them up as 'suspicious spam' and I haven't even put it on my Mcfee account for protection.  There are little gods of providence out there protecting us I think.

The tories have pulled through 'Up North' though not down in the mecca of London and statistics show we would, according to the voting of the country, be under Labour control, the Greens have done well also.  Greens always do good in parochial matters.  So Johnson's fate still hangs on the balance of a thread, me I would cut it but we must wait and see what happens.

We are witness day after day to the cruelty of war, something of course history will tell you happens all the time.  Our anguish has not stopped it of course, and we fight a proxy war sending necessary weapons of war to the brave Ukranian people. We feel the pain but are one step removed from it.

Listen to music, Mozart's Clarinet Quintet,  Schubert's The Trout, as the fish tumble through the water reminding me of dancing Welsh rivers.  Listen to the cuckoo's and curlews that people bring to this clever little machine I am typing on.  The sound of the morning chorus as the strong call of light revives the presence of life in all the plants, trees and animals.  First time yesterday I heard the mating call of that funny little pig like creature, the Muntjac deer.  Stray foreign import ;)

What have I been listening to, well the Viking book has at last been finished, their blood thirsty voyages wreaking havoc wherever they went and I am now listening to Rebecca Solnit's exploration of her Irish connections in her book 'Book of Migrations'.  Let me say one thing politically, the Conservatives as a government, should be read through as to past history of 'The Famine of Ireland' and the 'Highland Clearances', only then will you see the greed and brutality that the need for power brings.

Or is it only an interpretation? In the library of books at my old home in Bath, and we had many books, there was two, whole, books on ants.  I could never quite fathom that ants had such a long history to warrant a book but they did.  We are like those ants, a tad cleverer of course, but repeating the same mistakes over and over again, following little ant roads of destruction.

Do you remember The Reader's Digest, we had this funny little magazine of tales when I was a child.  Well there was one story, when the ants were on the move in Africa, they gathered together in a huge mass and relentlessly moved through the jungle eating everything in their way.

The writer had to protect his home from them, for it stood directly in their way.  He dug a great ditch around his house but the ants just floated across on anything they could find.  A nightmarish thought.

So I spin, I make my daughter happy that I am at last content in an undertaking, like a wandering waif I am now in the bosom of my family, gathered up ;)

I have explored William Morris's 'The Unknown Church' which can be found on the Project Gutenberg site and thought about philosophers and poets, a question in Mark's (The Bike Shed) latest blog.  Answered to my own satisfaction, of course poetry is important and went off for a hunt of R.S.Thomas, that brilliantly miserable Welsh priest who captured his congregation so well.  I could name many, many poets.  Keats, Meredith, Heaney, Hughes that have locked my thoughts into their imagery and learnt from them as well, in fact like Paul, who collected poetry on stones maybe I should also try to collect favourites in another blog.  The link is here 'Megalithic Poems' for Paul's collection.


6 comments:

  1. When I got a cell phone, I unfortunately received the phone number that had previously belonged to a young man. Ironically I know who he is. I was getting a lot of calls from his creditors. I was also getting spam. A lot of it. I marked the phone numbers as 'spam' calls, but the messages continued unabated. One time I watched them coming in as fast as I was marking them as spam. Interestingly enough, when I went to England, I did not buy minutes for my phone for that month. Since I have come back, I have not received even one spam text. They are all deleted. I am not sure why that seemed to change everything up, but it is a relief. The testosterone texts were really, really vulgar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we moved we got the same phone number as the local vet on our home phone, so we had to get rid of the old phone Debby. The new phones are a thing of wonder to me;) also drive me up the wall!

      Delete
  2. RS Thomas is one of my favourites too. I love the way a good poet can say in a dozen word swhat takes thousands of words by anyone else. Enjoy your spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a miserable creature Pat but caught the Welsh atmosphere of work and poverty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tories did not did do well in this part of the North, thankfully. We could do so much better learning from History, my mother was a History graduate and often regaled instances of things that had happened before, we will never learn it would seem. A sad fact. Enjoy your spinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sad fact is we never learn from history, we just repeat the mistakes. Well it is labour here that run the council. But then there are complaints from locals at how terrible they are at the job ;)

      Delete

Love having comments!