Thursday, May 5, 2022

5th May 2022

 I have at last grasped the tensioning on my spinning wheel and have spun my first small ball.  It will need some practice in the future but the wheel works fine.  

Household duties in the morning have been done, washing winter jumpers too put away, apparently we are in for a mini heatwave??  My plants arrived yesterday from 'Rocket', beautifully and gently wrapped in cardboard and all looking fine. Hyssop, lavender and thyme.  I need rosemary as well, a herb I love strewn in fried potatoes.

Just been watching this Arte video on the Scottish 'Isle of Rum'.  Only 35 people live on the island but it is a gentle smooch round their lives.   It has a fascinating history this inner Hebridean island, a long history of ownership by many people. All of this can be read here on the Wiki.  Suffering a terrible fate in the Highland Enclosures in 1828 when the tenanted croft people on the island at the time were loaded on to two boats and taken elsewhere.

Good news on Colin the cuckoo, he is safely back in England after his long and strenuous flying from Africa.  A birding friend on F/B has many photos of this, not exactly beautiful bird, which he photographed over the weekend.

On this day I voted Labour, they can't do much worse than the present incumbents!



11 comments:

  1. Only a birder could name a cuckoo 'Colin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Names have associations of course, very class-ridden as well ;)

      Delete
  2. As long as he continues to sing on his short visit he can be called whatever you like as long as it isn't Cuthbert. Not exactly beautiful but what he lacks in colour he makes up for in song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin the Cuckoo I suppose has a rythmic sound to it Pat. He was a good saint Cuthbert by the way.

      Delete
  3. Welcome home Colin. I have a question though: What brings Colin back here every summer? There don't seem to be a 'Camilla' in the shrubs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is normally a one stand Debby ;) both being terrible parents they tend to off load their young!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Thelma! That is the first time that I have seen and heard a cuckoo! I've only seen the ones on cuckoo clocks before this and they look quite different from handsome Colin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is of course very fit after that long flight home Ellen. I wonder why the cuckoo clock became Switzerland's talisman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a cuckoo before. Sort of good looking fellow. Good job with the wheel, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is a bit pigeon like in his gray attire Joanna. Pleased with the wheel, different from the larger traditional one, but I willget used to it.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!