Thursday, May 12, 2022

Yes, I am still childish



They have just played the music of Bagpuss on the radio, would it not be lovely to regress to childhood and not live through these times?

But I shall follow this thought, for a friend has just left the joyous new that there will another  Detectorist long film on the BBC.  We should be able to wallow in this gentle funny comedy about the art of the detectorist so expertfully handled by Mackenzie Crook.  Set amidst the rather beautiful countryside of Danbury not far from where we lived in Essex. His pirate role in 'The Pirates of the Caribbean' was first class, and his sympathetic role in Worzel Gummidge made me smile.

It reminds me of Una Stubbs, when  she played 'Aunt Sally' in the same story.  This rather frightening compilation from a 1980s Christmas show shows the raw cleverness of television as it tackled the scary scarecrows...... I am so pleased that the BBC is still with us, filling up every nook and corner of our lives with music and entertainment.

'The Magpie' sung by the three sisters I think of the 'Unthank', bringing to mind the ending of the series, when out two heroes set off in the evocative golden light of the field in the evening.  Unsuccessful, no coins to be found, but as they pass the old tree with two magpies in it, we see their nest of gold coins.  





 

10 comments:

  1. A new series of Detectorist? Great. I loved the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Tom just a one of feature length film.

      Delete
  2. Don't know the series at all Thelma - perhaps you could tell me which side it is on and when please - sounds my sort of programme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been two series Pat which have finished, this one, as I shall tell Tom is just a one of film. and is still in the making, though I think you can watch it on....... BBC Iplayer - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b06l51nr/detectorists - will give you a flavour. You might find it boring, it is bit of a ramble but the two main characters are very good. There is even a mad farmer in it at one stage, who has invisible dogs!

      Delete
  3. A delightful, gentle series Thelma. We need programmes like this if only just to show that there are ordinary people out there, enjoying life, dealing with relationships, and just being. Not everything is about bloomin' "Celebrities" .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has that slow summer heat to its atmosphere Jennie, everything happening at a gentle pace. Yet all the characters portray themelves well.

      Delete
  4. I did watch The Detectorists and thought the series had just ended abruptly. I do like the way the BBC has there actors portray such a broad array of roles and I do like how wonderful they are in these wild character roles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what happens Tabor is that the BBC judge how popular a show is before they invest any more money in making new series. Character actors are always excellent.

      Delete
  5. The news on The Detectorists has made me so happy. I feel like friends I've lost touch with. Probably be a long time before it's viewable in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had not realised it had got to the US, or how it would go down as a series, it is very English I think.

      Delete

Love having comments!