Wednesday, November 16, 2022

16th November 2022

Yesterday was a day and a half, unexpectedly the small removal van had been mended and I could have my furniture later in the morning.  They arrived laid out rubber mats, and so it began in the rain.  My boxes did not have the necessary info on, so they put them all down in the cellars.  But once they had removed the large double bed in my room, they started to fit furniture, and it worked beautifully. A morning job soon over.  And I had the task of rummaging through the boxes in the cellar.  Admittedly an exciting task but it does mean climbing plenty of stairs carrying heavy things such as books.  But what a delight to be acquainted with all the books I had kept.  Also I find I had two largish bookshelves as well. 

Things that I consider precious, like the little Edwardian nursing chair and the little black chinois chair are in the smaller bedroom, without function I suppose you could call it, along with several other chairs - because I do like a good chair.....  Then the invoice came, heart shock at the amount but I paid up.  Though I can't quite understand how transporting a small amount of furniture a few miles would cost so much, but there you are.  The men were very helpful, and one even shook my hand and thanked me, what for goodness knows...

In the evening Andrew was here, he had promised to sort my computer out, it has been giving out strange messages for a few weeks.  Like a red 'error' error, notice when I opened an email to the Megalithic Portal.  I mentioned that I had added VPN (virtual private network) from Macfee security and he said I had just found the problem.  My network wall had just hit the network wall of the Megalithic site, so VPN was taken off.

He also backed up my blog, which is now somewhere flying up in the 'clouds' forever there...

As an afterthought;  is this the end of of social networking as Twitter comes to a bit of a grinding halt as Musk tries various ways to make it profitable.  What with cryptocurrency going down the drain as well - virtual money for goodness sake, how can you have any faith in it?

Expensive removal men, money that doesn't work and an egocentric Musk trying to dominate the talking classes the world is definintely feeling the pinch.


14 comments:

  1. I can manage quite well without twitter and crypto currency so that's OK.
    And hope I never need removal men ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have your beloved furniture and thing around you again now. I am sure staircases (whether up or down) make a delivery bill higher! Was it the best of your quotes though?

    Another one who can manage perfectly well without wither Twitter or crypto currency and hoping too that this was our last move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue and Jennie, I did write to Jen and said I thought the move expensive. She said that lt is also the staircase issue with the men going up and down, and the fact that they have started paying vat as well, which added just under £200 to the bill. So move to a bungalow is the answer. But the men were very helpful, can't fault them.

      Delete
  3. So much of technology now seems to be one step forward and one step back. VPNs are supposed to help with security, but locking you out of sites that you need isn't helpful. As for Twitter, I could never understand the attraction - the character limit is too low to allow reasonable comments so I'm not surprised that it seems to have become a shouting in the playground outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was annoying Will especially as I had to keep signing back into Google as well. Heaven forbid I should ever lose my phone, because Google and Amazon send you numbers to prove that you are who you are.

      Delete
  4. Unpacking when belongings have been in storage for months is pleasant when we reconnect with familiar treasures. Having moved too many times in recent years it seems I expect to find some items lurking in boxes--only to conclude that in the weariness of packing I must have taken too many things to the charity shop--gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sharon I am wondering why I bought my whole Ordinance Survey map collection with me, most of that will go to charity. As will some of my clothes. Everything seems to be here though, my little silver table and chairs fell out of some slippers this morning. So hopefully I have chosen well in what to keep and what not to keep.

      Delete
  5. I don't need Twitter and I never understood crypto currency so I am not bothered if they go away.
    Glad you got your furniture and computer sorted. Since retired, I do use my computer every day to read blogs and keep up with the news. I would miss it if it stopped working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of getting a new computer at some stage, Andrew has recommended one that comes on a stand, (27 inches I think) he says you can sit quite a distance away and watch stuff....

      Delete
  6. But welcome to your new nest - wonder whether you might be adding a dog to your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat I am so happy to see you wandering around on our blogs. And no I won't be getting a dog it is easier not to have one.

      Delete
  7. I have never quite understood Twitter, and I find it fascinating to watch the implosion. I don't feel a whit sorry for Elon Musk. He's a strange, entitled mindset, isn't he? I would like ot see a picture of your 'nursing rocker'. I bought a rocker at an estate sale that was called a nursing rocker. I have questions about it and wondered if yours was the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is not a rocker Debby, it is a low formal wood turned little chair. I remember having a rocker but you get scared because children rock it too hard and go backward. I am not sure that some of these entrepreneurs think they can go for world domination - but that is a fool's dream.

      Delete
  8. The cloud sometimes loses stuff forever too.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!