Saturday, November 5, 2022

Measurement

I believe Rees-Mogg would like us all to go back to the old measurements, inches and feet.  It reminded me that somehow I have muddled through with our day to day tape measures in both Imperial (is that right) and decimal.  Which I think is a bad idea, because I have never really switched from the old to the new when measuring my sewing. 



But it also set a thought rolling what happened to the archaeological measuring tapes that belonged to my ex-husband and which we used on sites.  They were very long, leather cased with a brass winding handle.  I remember the university lad working with me when I was drawing, measured the tapes.  Why I asked must we lay all the long tapes side by side, because the weather alters them he said!  When I used the tapes when drawing I would take both ends of the tape from a given position, stretch them over the the stone or wall and then with a plumb bob, exactly centred on the object to be drawn would draw on the board.

I could also never get on with the theolidite, a mean upside down looking creature which told me something I did not understand about the distance I was looking at.  Sure proof that some of us have minds able to cope mathematically and others are good at words.

So have I been in a state of dumfungle for much of my life I wonder?



16 comments:

  1. Fair foonert in north east Scotland , we have the Doric up here, i read your blog daily but dont comment, i couldnt resist it today 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marlene, and thank you for reading my blog. Well that was another rabbit hole to go down, Greek speaking Scottish people ;) But very intriguing and I went and read up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whilst I think that feet and inches are a more "human" scale measurement system than the metric, I am glad that we no longer have to work in £sd - I admired the old time shop assistants that could reckon up the bills in our local grocers, including weighing out the loose goods, almost without pausing for thought. I could never do the mental arithmetic that fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well cash will soon be on its way out Will. It will potter along for a couple of years, then its those little debit cards we shall try not to lose. Thinking of 'human' scale, it was the length of a foot I think. When they measure stone circles there is apparently a rough prehistoric yard.

      Delete
  4. I switch between imperial and decimal all the time, which causes quite a lot of problems. With archeology I think it is essential to use the old system, preferably the one based on the megalithic yard. 'Permacrisis' is the latest OED word of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me years ago when we were having a window put in by father and son. It didn't fit, son to father - dad what did you measure with? yes the mix up between old and modern generation, inches instead of centimetres. But Mr. Sutton elder, had the answer, just make the hole bigger for the window.

      Delete
  5. I would be happy to get the measurements for Rees-Mogg's coffin by which ever method he desired. Though he was never in the navy, he would be buried at sea. Crustaceans need something to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks quite a pleasant fellow when asleep on the bench in the chamber, but dead he would probably be a little frightening. Don't worry he will be shuffled around somewhere else, his end is nigh.

      Delete
  6. Dumfungled. That's a handy word, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very descriptive word Debby, I shall keep it in my dictionary.

      Delete
  7. I was born just before decimalisation. My teachers and the resources in our school were a little slow to catch up so I was taught both metric and imperial. I love that I can switch easily between the two, we do that as a society anyway and most don't notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true we use both systems with ease. In my schooldays 'mental arithmetic' was taught, and the ability to do sums in one's head is a handy calculator.

      Delete
  8. My father had a set of the measuring tapes you mentioned. You had to be careful rewinding the tape. It was very
    thin and bent easily,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember what they were made of Joanna, I think linen was involved though.

      Delete
  9. I'm still a feet and inches kind of gal, and I bake using Imperial measurements too. A Luddite through and through!

    I was no good with the Theodolite either - like you my mind is geared for words and not figures. Algebra always seemed pointless to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are all luddites in that respect. The American system of cups always get me, and I will go right off the recipe if they are mentioned. Don't forget geometry either!

      Delete

Love having comments!