Sunday, November 20, 2022

20th November 2022

 


Well while looking for where that river was in the last blog I came across, for me, England's prettiest house which is in Coggeshall - Payecocke House, built by a rich cloth merchant in the 16th century.  It has been restored to some extent, you can read about it here.  Payecocke means peacock and the house is now in the hands of The National Trust.


And the old blog of 2013 it came from

Still sorting boxes, treasures to be found and space allocated.  I seemed to have kept a lot of the books I loved the most.  I have a good book on vernacular building materials in England, which I must find.  Essex houses are a mix of styles but pargetting is something to be looked out for.

All the boxes that are left have been hoisted to the top shelves in the cellars, because of course, flooding is being reported all round Yorkshire as the rains rain down all the time.

7 comments:

  1. Coggeshall is glorious. I found Saffron Walden to be similar. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coggeshall is also very unspoilt and there is a magnificent tithe barn there as well, once belonging to an abbey Aril.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments over at mine - it always amazes me that readers come back after I have away so much this year - long stories. I have book (plural actually) on welsh vernacular architecture - it's amazing how using simple techniques and limited materials they could produce buildings of such character and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think we were all worried about Oscar, and it brought back for me Moss's accident. My book is called - The Pattern of English Building but many of my Welsh books, mostly on prehistory went to charity shops.

      Delete
  3. If that white is wood and carved wood, that might mean a LOT of maintenance. It is striking in style, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is why it was given into the hands of The National Trust Tabor. It just illustrates how rich the merchants were around that part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That house is beautiful and should be in the care of the National Trust.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!