Sunday, November 6, 2022

Voices: Capturing a Scottish voice

Someone, I think her name is Karen, makes a short video each evening, mostly on prepping for, to use the title of a radio programme, 'The Coming Storm'.  She is rather soothing but very eloquent in what she says. 
I am not sure of the ethics of buying up food stocks, rather, as in the words of a Lidl notice, buy what you need and leave enough for others.
Short aside, so who was the idiot who brought up all the tea the other day at Lidl? My granddaughter came home last night brandishing a large bag of coffee beans with accompanying filters.  'Look what I've got you granny' so at least I won't go coffeeless in the future.
But this Karen intrigues me, she has a full time job but yet is able to study the news each day and come out with practical tips and her opinion.  And it is a much gentler approach than the news pundits, who seem to pivot on the government ministers who are in and out of office.  A bit like the clock that has two people coming in and out when the chimes strike the hour.
I think her message last night was to think of others and buy for them as well.  I hate charity, I feel that it is a right wing answer to poverty but of course she is right about giving.  Go out and buy clean pillowcases for the young who have to leave the care system into new empty flats.  I have always given away stuff acquired.  True, as my daughter said, they will probably sell it for the money but by the same token I am not profiteering by others.





 Having just released this I notice it says 'video unavailable' but it isn't of course as you will see if you go on the link, so I shall leave it there as it is.  Also Hazel has left a glowing report on Karen whilst I was testing the link.  So here is a repeat of the link....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f8SkUiivSo

13 comments:

  1. I've been watching Karen's videos for a few weeks now and she is very well informed on current affairs. She is also passionate about helping others who need it. I like her approach to prepping, buying a few extras here and there, not emptying the shelves and leaving nothing for others. If we do suffer with food shortages in the coming year then I'm sure Karen will be the first person to share some of her food with others. I like her, she is down to earth and compassionate. Shame the politicians don't watch her videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely testimonial Hazel, thank you for that. I think she talks commonsense, something there is a dearth of in our 'millionaire cabinets' of late.

      Delete
  2. I cannot imagine food shortages beicng more than an inconvenience. But I am a novice at all this Armageddon stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is hardly food shortages Tabor but just that things get caught up in the delivery systems, and of course price rises make people buy when cheap. I would hardly call it 'Armageddon' but poverty I think has become a talking point, especially as the food banks are experiencing far more people asking for their services.
      Lidl I think runs on limited amounts and it is just a question of filling the shelves from the back.

      Delete
  3. She should give her hair a wash, but maybe she is depressed. I only watched the first 30 seconds. I like that the bloke who bought thousands of toilet rolls in the pandemic could not sell them back to the supermarket. Hopefully he gave them to a charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, I noticed the state of her hair but then I never make remarks about bald headed men ;) Hopefully he lost in the pocket that man for being greedy.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. Woo nasty comments aren't allowed on my blog Anon! I am deleting you so that no one will get to see your remark.

      Delete
  4. I agree with her, and with you. There is a difference between stockpiling and being prudent. In my mind, someone who stockpiles is thinking of themselves alone. 'Prudent', on the other hand, removes the focus on themselves. You might be careful but you are still able to see need around you. I'd like to think that we're prudent. While we are freezing and saving things, we are not grabbing up everything. During the height of the covid thing, first time around, I know of a woman who complained bitterly about 'hoarders' and how awful they were making it for everyone else. Because of their selfishness, she had to go out and buy her 3rd deep freezer for their garage. I assure you that this isn't a joke. Her children commented that she had enough toilet paper in the closet to provide a roll to most people in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose Debby there is a long tradition of growing and preserving food and a lot of people do it. Because basically it has always been done and it is an excellent way of storing food. But the silly buying of toilet rolls at one stage emphasises how you can go down a troublesome path of shortages when there needn't be. Also as electricity may not be 100% on during the winter months, freezers are not always a good idea.

      Delete
    2. She neither gardens nor forages. Her husband is not a hunter. Their food comes from the grocer.

      Delete
    3. Not sure how to respond Debby. What seems like greed and an attitude of 'I'm alright Jack' the rest of the world can go hang, are normally symptoms of fear. But of course these people make the shortages more real.

      Delete
    4. I just think it is fascinating how someone can so clearly look out and find fault with everyone around her, yet seemingly overlook that she's doing the very same thing she's criticizing. She is not a friend, She never will be. She is far too sharp and quick to criticize. I avoid the company of people like that.

      Delete

Love having comments!