Friday, May 12, 2023

12th May 2023

 See you later;  a modern day remark you hear as you leave the till as you take your shopping away.  How many times have I wanted to turn and say, how do you know you will see me later?  Such a boring thought am I being pedantic at this silly expression - heaven knows.

We had a Morrison's delivery yesterday, a couple of hours late in the evening.  The lad brought in the wrong shopping, and it was only Lillie spying white wine in the bags, who then had to run down the road to get him to come back and swap our shopping.  He used the term 'love' to my daughter and she was slightly indignant about it. It is weird what makes us take offense at the  familiar use of words.

I have just invested in a couple of knitting books, one definitely Australian, which means all the wool skeins are from that country, a long way to go for different makes.  Another exercise to add to my repertoire, as I got the books to learn how to make difficult things!

My small courtyard of herb plants is now on its way to growing, I shall miss my roses this summer.  By the side of my bed I have a photo of old Lucy, she is sitting with her eyes closed absorbing the sun.  Complete contentment, she is or was my little Buddha.  Well most of the time, when she was not being on the 'spectrum' and raising hell occasionally at night crashing around to get attention.

Why did she do it? we could only think that from her last home where she was locked up in a shed with two other male spaniels.  The horror of being confined turned her a bit nuts.  She loved her home and nothing pleased her more than when we turned round and took the path home. A hop, skip and a jump for joy was her expressive way of saying 'yay'.

Sun worshipping





She was a plump old thing.  Often carried her own lead, because she never ever contemplated running away



20 comments:

  1. I'd not really noticed the "see you later " thing until 1980 when we moved to a new house and the milkman always said it on a Friday when he called for the money and I always wanted to answer - not till next Friday actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The expression has been around a long time Sue, never realised that.

      Delete
  2. I hear "Have a nice day" when I'm leaving the store. I find it pleasant and always respond, "thanks, you too!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is a good parting shot from the cashier Ellen. And I always smile back and wish them well.

      Delete
  3. When someone passes along a greeting, I don't trouble myself by disecting it. I greet them back. It's a small kindness in this world not to find reason to criticize. (I hope that doesn't sound rude. Reading it, it seems as if it could be, and that's honestly not how I mean it at all.)

    A tenant had a dog, a chihuahua, a dog of nervous temperament to begin with. The poor dog had also been confined during the night and in the winter with GEESE of all things, the only creature on earth which would be more irritable than a chihuahua. The geese terrorized the poor dog. Rufus was rescued, and my friend took her. He lived out his years as a cossetted and beloved pet, but he never got over his jitters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I am just being curious about things as usual Debby. And I love the small kindnesses of the world. In fact, I live in a town where kindness is the watchword.

      Delete
  4. My dh was a bit taken aback the first time he was called Love by another man, having recently moved to Sheffield from the Home Counties. I love it and use it myself now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the whole Love is a friendly endearment to use but not sure it is used so much down South. Perhaps we see it as a form of address between two people who know each other.

      Delete
  5. I'm from Yorkshire and "Love" is just a friendly alternative to your name as they wouldn't know that. I must say I never got in the habit of saying it even to family and friends. I remember when working on checkouts in a supermarket I said to a familiar regular shopper "See you later" and she asked "Will you?" What I shuld have said is "See you again". There is always someone to take you literally.

    We have a rescue Irish Setter who spent his early years with a farmer who went hunting. The sister of this farmer had him for a short time before he came to us and sent a letter asking us not to "work" him. We don't know what he went through, but he trembles and shakes when the hunting season is underway when he can hear the guns, in fact any loud bang, fireworks, thunder or even a car door banging loudly, sets him quivering and hiding in one of the bedrooms. Obviously we try to console him, but it doesn't make any difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yes it is a Yorkshire expression, I think my daughter was reacting to a young lad calling her love that is all. And as you say there is always someone to take you literally, like me for instance.
      One of my rescue dogs was terrified of a retractable lead, it must have been used to hit her with. She was also terrified of the hot air balloons in Bath and would just gallop off.

      Delete
  6. In the East Midlands it's "Duck". In East Yorkshire I've been called "Spadge" (sparrow).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am used to being called 'duck'. But I reckon from different areas must travel all over the country taking with them familiar sayings. "spadge" actually means sparrow doesn't it though, was it colloquial?

      Delete
  7. The world is in such disarray I cannot worry anymore about what people say. Life is too short and her in America(!) we worry more about guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a few years back when young people in London were asked to hand in their knives anonymously Tabor. Doubt if it will work in America. Freedom to own guns legislation was a very bad part of American history. It must make living in the country very scary.

      Delete
  8. The greeting here is generally "Have a good day." I've grown to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Joanne a positive note on which to greet the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brother picked up the See-you-later bug and caused constant problems in the family: my mother always thought he meant he was coming back to see her later in the day and got quite worried and disappointed when he didn't appear. So I'll just say Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say 'take care' to family and friends, at least it is a thoughtful remark.

      Delete
  11. I still miss 'Alexander Giraud' rambling over our old barn. And is that still .'Jam and Jerusalem' on your header?
    Why do we surround ourselves with things we love - dogs, roses - when we know we will feel sadness at their going? As for 'See you later' - it drives me mad but it has stretched everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't know the name of the rose Pat 'Jam and Jerusalem' is a yellow/red rose.

      Delete

Love having comments!