Thursday, May 25, 2023

25th May 2023 - memories

Wow! This new computer is a hybrid of both television and computer. It has a 27 inch screen and I can watch programmes in full unadulterated colour.  Now the big question is should I join Netflix.  Watching the family flick through the films to find one to suit everyone takes ages, then it is almost time for bed when agreement is reached.
I always choose Dell, easy to set up and straightforward, as long as my eyesight holds out set up for the next few years.
What I love about computer land is there is so much on offer.  Yesterday I listened to a local Land Trust organisation talk on retrofitting houses.  People stood up in the audience and told their stories (and problems) with underground heat pumps.  For instance, what happens when the top layers of earth get frozen solid and there is no heat in the ground?
The organisation is a small one here only a few houses on their books, people complained you could neither find the information nor the builders to carry out the work.  It will be interesting to see how the rows and rows of terraced houses are worked upon over the years.
Also, an invigorating talk by Dr. Mike Galsworthy on(new chair of the European movement UK) reaching out to the EU and getting back into Europe, the talk, which you can find on Facebook strikes hope for my grandchildren.
There is a funny story to tell of heat pumps.  When Paul and I were looking for a house in North Yorkshire we found a cottage in a small village it faced out on the road, and had a slightly difficult layout, one enormous bedroom and two very small bedrooms and a small  back garden.  Now this back garden had a small gate into a large converted barn at the back which belonged to the owners of the cottage. 
Let us say that the lady of the house only had eyes for Paul, and wined and dined us to get us  to buy.  Their barn conversion was in a terrible mess and so was the ground round the barn, underground heating was the cause of this.  No we did not buy, with the perils of madam dropping in for coffee all the time and the awkwardness of a shared drive. 
Alexander Pope as I went on a rummage through my blogs and found that I had written a lot about the village of Newton-Under-Rawcliffe.

Consult the genius of the place in all;
That tells the waters or to rise, or fall;
Or helps th' ambitious hill the heav'ns to scale,
Or scoops in circling theatres the vale;
Calls in the country, catches opening glades,
Joins willing woods, and varies shades from shades,



Edit:  Did I ever say that I can sometimes see, or at least experience things before they happen, into the future?  Well as I spooned my lunchtime soup today, there was a radio programme on talking about the Salford Energy Houses and the Land Trust was in the conversation as well.  There are problems with air and ground heating, the largest problem for me is lukewarm showers and bath.  I think that well known builder of houses (Barrett) was somewhat lurking in the background though the funding came from Europe.
As an aside, the Aga was switched off yesterday, so it is now different cooking in the household.  Adjustment made but we all miss its friendly warmth and it will take sometime to remember not to put the plates in the bottom oven for warming up!

14 comments:

  1. Ground source heating sounds wonderful in theory but I'm very doubtful and hope never to have to move to a new property where they are now installed regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have just edited after listening to a lunchtime programme Sue, I suppose we should be grateful they are experimenting, even at this late stage, in the building of 'energy proof' housing.

      Delete
  2. It looks such a neat and tidy village - almost too good to be true. Love the idea of rejecting the house because of 'the lady of the manor!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a very pretty village Pat, with some lovely walks but that wicket gate into our over friendly neighbour was a no-no and in the end Paul fell in love with the modern cottage at Normanby/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know anything about underground heat pumps and have never seen an Aga! How different our lives can be, Thelma! You certainly know a lot about a lot of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agas Ellen are pretty old fashioned but are probably the predecessors of all these air and heat systems. Solid heavy creatures, they can heat the house and water and you can cook on them as well.

      Delete
  5. From what I've read, there are significant issues with both air source (space, noise) and ground source (cost, space) heat pumps - they are not the one-size-fits-all solution to everyone's heating problems. And that's before you ask where all that extra electricity is going to come from when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow?
    My understanding is that countries where they are common have very different building standards around insulation and air tightness construction, that make them a more realistic proposition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our housing stock leaves a lot to be desired in the way of insulation, and retrofitting costs a bomb of course. But I am on the side of green energy, perhaps we must learn to be more careful with our use of energy.

      Delete
  6. I could not reconcile the enormous cost of an underground system. However, we did live there thirty years and had the system been perfect, it would have been cost effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That of course is the problem Joanne finding the money to upgrade, I think new build will solve some of the problems, hopefully that is before climate change really hits town.

      Delete
  7. To be honest with you, I think that retrofitting houses is a risky proposition. As someone noted, it is NOT a one size fits all solution. We are doing a new build, and I'd like to consider alternative heat, but there is an oil well on the property and we get free natural gas, so Tim is not willing to look any farther than that. The new technology is interesting. I was reading about the push to go to all electric heating/utilities. I could not imagine how that could possibly work, but the technology for creating electricity was mind boggling. It gives me hope, really. We've got the ability to solve our earth's problems. I believe that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby that made me laugh, fancy having your own oil well in the back garden, visions of nodding donkeys came to mind. I think the steps will be slow but the green revolution has begun. It's the new growth market and if we can get past the climate deniers, our grandchildren have hope.

      Delete
  8. I thought that - at a certain depth - the ground was always a little warm. Cheddar Caves are the same temperature all year round, for instance. I am thinking of heat pumps...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our basement is the same temperature all the year round - cold Tom.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!