Sunday, May 28, 2023

28th May 2023

 This is truly going to be the last house.  It arrived from my daughter yesterday.  She is off with Andrew down to his parent's house in Surrey, or it might be Sussex, always get them mixed up.  On the way down they had stopped off in Frimley to see the house  we had lived in when  she was very young.  I presume we have google to thank in finding it.



The house Nick, her father, and I had bought when she was about two years old.  We were the usual poor newly weds, and my father in law had given us the deposit to buy a house.  It was here one terrible evening two policemen stood at the door and told me that Nick had been involved in a bad accident.  I still worry about anyone in the family travelling now. His accident was caused by a woman pulling out in front of his car without checking there was anyone coming. 

It was a friendly neighbourhood and they pulled together to support me, someone looked after my daughter and someone else my dogs as the accident had happened in Northampton and he was in the hospital there.  Nick had been to visit his best friend in Oxford.

Well life took its course and a few days later Nick died of head injuries and I was left to pick up the pieces, it took me many years to get over this sudden death. It was a shame that his ashes were buried in a church at Frimley, they should have been taken back to lie beside his parent's grave at the church in Territet in Switzerland, where his father helped out. We always called it Grandpa's church. 

To return to happier things.  Yesterday was the carnival in Tod, and all the young girls of Tod marched past swinging their batons into the air and splendiferous in their bright sparkly uniforms.  There were hundreds, even a rather thin Chinese dragon snaked its way down the road as well.  All traffic was stopped down the main streets, and in the afternoon Lillie headed the Scouts march in memory of a much loved scout leader who had died a couple of weeks ago.


Edit: Eve, Leave your prejudice behind, Tinker's Bubble Community still going strong.

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - I had no idea you were widowed so young - so sad to hear .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a long time ago Sue, the family want to pierce the story together. 'My Heritage' website is well used. Iam thinking of doing a DNA test. It looks like my roots are in Staffordshire. mother's name was Colclough. A name linked with pottery of course.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Shocking. I was brought up very close to Frimley. I could hear the gunfire at night from the ranges when the wind was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the things I did not like about the area, the heath. It was sandy and vegetation was very different if I remember rightly. Saw the first flight of the Concorde from Frimley, well not exactly from the town but it flew over to great acclaim.

      Delete
  4. Does your daughter have memory of the house or did you have to leave it? What a shocking loss for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Debby, Karen remembers vaguely of living there. My move a couple of years later was to go to Wales to get a small holding - self sufficiency was my naive hope. ;)

      Delete
  5. how on our 'journey through Blogging' we learn snippets about our companions on the journey - all of which helps us to build up a picture of who our blog-friends are. Such a catastrophic beginning for you - life has not always been kind to you but your life with Paul must have left wonderful happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true Pat, those few years with Paul was a very happy and peaceful life.

      Delete
  6. It must have been very hard to get through. We have had two similarly early losses leaving young children in our close family, my brother and my wife's father. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both said it was the worst thing that could possibly have happened, and struggled with both the practical and emotional consequences for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick's family were also very grief stricken. He was the youngest son, fresh out of university. They were very good to both me and Karen, giving that support that is so needed. As your relatives said the emotional turmoil is terrible and something you have to live with Tasker.

      Delete
  7. Oh, Thelma, what a terrible time for you. Nick would be proud of how you raised your daughter and made a good life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she looks happy in that photo at the top. Four children raised and now a happy partnership, so I feel my job is done.

      Delete
  8. I never knew about Nick and the tragic loss that befell you and your daughter. Thanks for sharing this Thelma. How fragile life can be. A stranger pulls out without looking and in an instant everything changes. A young husband and father with decades ahead of him becomes just a memory. Cut down in his prime like a soldier, leaving a pool of sorrow behind. I also didn't know your daughter's name was Karen - perhaps I should pay more attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shock to see the old house and all the memories behind came tumbling into place Neil. Karen has never forgiven me for calling her that name, I justify it with vague memories about Switzerland, perhaps I should have called her Heidi.

      Delete
  9. The link did not work for me, but today it occurred to me to type in Tinker's Bubble Community. Fascinating. I read that you can stay there for a couple weeks working with them. They ask that you bring along any fresh roadkill you find on the way! Oh, that made me laugh! But all joking aside, it would be a good experience to immerse yourself in that way of life. It's bound to change your world perspective a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it only works for a few hardy souls Debby. The early communes seem to fall apart relationship wise. Tinkers Bubble is a permanent community and there is another one in Wales that has their council approval.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Welsh one is called The Lammas Ecovillage it is in Pembrokeshire near the village of Crymych.




      Delete
    2. It is not something that I'd ever want to do permanently, mind you, but it would really be stepping outside life as I know it, which is always interesting.

      Delete
  11. I often wonder about houses I once loved in - who is there now; how have they changed. A part of me would love to have a nose around my first family home; another part says it is best left as memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting slip Mark, I presume you meant lived in. But there again those houses when we were children we were also loved in. When I got the photo it made me happy to see my daughter in her world. Chasing the father she never really knew is sad but his family 'adopted' us into their family and the ties are still strong.

      Delete

Love having comments!