Saturday, May 13, 2023

Do you remember her?


When I was a child, so many years ago, I went to kindergarten.  And I am sure Joyce Grenville was one of my teachers.  Putting one's head on ones arms and having a nap in the afternoon.  You never did of course, stayed awake quietly waiting to be told to wake up.  The little bottles of milk warming on the radiator! Yuk, I have hated warmed milk ever since.  Her voice is comforting and yet has that beautiful edge of steel only a teacher can have.  Below is a poem she wrote, I wonder if her ashes were allowed to blow in the wind and she has no burial spot. Her recordings live on, that crisp middle class enunciation she mocked ever so gently.




 If I should go before the rest of you

Break not a flower nor inscribe a stone
Nor when I’m gone speak in a Sunday voice
But be the usual selves that I have known
Weep if you must
Parting is Hell
But life goes on
So sing as well

Joyce Grenfell

10 comments:

  1. You may remember that I have her bird-watching hat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Joyce Grenfell. George, don’t do that. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we shall never know what George was doing sadly!

      Delete
  3. Even in primary school we put our heads down on Friday afternoons - gave the teacher time to tidy up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it was quietening down over excited children and a time to relax for the teacher Sue.

      Delete
  4. Joyce Grenfell - thanks for the reminder - and what a super poem. Remember those little bottles of milk. We never had them on the radiator - but they were good when the cream on the top froze and pushed the little 'hole' in the middle up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O dear Pat you must be remembering the cold as well in winter.

      Delete
  5. That is a poem that sums up my take on things as well. I remember kindergarten as well. We had mats from home to put on the floor and we stretched out. Our teacher sat quietly in a chair while we napped. Unlike you, I remember beings surprised awake when she went about the room telling us that it was time to get up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think from early childhood Debby I was always on 'Alert' and that is why I couldn't sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!