Tuesday, May 16, 2023

16th May 2023

Goats wandering the empty streets of Llandudno during the Covid crisis.  If I was to read the look on their faces it would be saying "where have those bloody humans gone"?


Reading the runes wrong, how can this man be a member of our government? Jacob Rees-Mogg

A history of gender, something I haven't read much about.  The labelling (a bit like blog labelling) of one's sexual orientation is complicated, I go round the house and ask younger members what does cisgender mean for instance.  You use the pronoun 'they' Granny.  So do I look at the world, or at least the people who inhabit that world in a different manner - life gets complicated.  But Kathleen Stock, philosopher, explains it more to my liking, sadly she is persecuted for her views.  

I actually agree with her that it is 'social contagion' that triggers the need to be different in young people, a 'non biological' stance is fine when you are young, but what happens when you change your mind later on?

What I gather from all this is the ability to name call the person who may, just may have a different opinion from you, is to call them out as sexist, racist, etc, etc.  So democracy falls short in this age of internet, when you can just bad mouth so easily and not have a civilised discussion. 

So thank god for philosophers and historians who try to make sense of all this.  Yesterday came across a new book by Simon Scharma called 'Foreign Bodies' and the photo above pinched from the Guardian article here.  Animals are always so photogenic. The book is definitely on my radar to read or listen to.

Apart from all this, keeping my mind moving, life has been quiet, apart from being vaccinated on Saturday.

8 comments:

  1. I think I am too old to be taking all this alternative naming/genders on board (apparently there are 73 genders now. Really? - said scathingly). Glad we live in the middle of nowhere and there are still just two sexes/genders here - go ask any sheep!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 73 is far too many to cope with Jennie ;)

      Delete
  2. Keeping the mind moving - top of my agenda every day! Snap re Covid jab - had mine last Thuraday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be about the 6th jab we have had for Covid, luckily it seems to be less severe now if you catch it Pat.

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately I feel that the massive increase in use of social media such as Twitter with its low word limit has a lot to do with the fall of civilised discussion. It's not easy within that fee characters to put points across and to discuss them. And the anonymity of these products gives shelter to individuals who would not dare to make many of such comments face-to-face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow Will we need a virtual Sir Lindsey Hoyle to preside over the internet and shout 'order' 'order' to give them their marching orders out of the virtual room.

      Delete
  4. I just feel like it isn't my battle. In the end, they'll sort out their lives. I'll sort out my own. I just try to treat everyone with respect and kindness.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!