Tuesday, November 28, 2023

28th November 2023

We may have snow, my news feed talks of a 'snow bomb' where are the journalists coming from today?

Snow: it is that white stuff, beautiful until it gets walked upon, then it goes down into a sludgy mess.  People complain, their cars get stuck, the roads and pavements gets gritted, and as we sprinkle salt on our steps to stop the icing up, it becomes a nuisance.

But I have been away to the far reaches of Shipley, which is roughly about an hour away on the trains.  That is if they are running of course.  One notice up on the train board, was that the train had not left the depot and immediately this train had a personality, and I saw it sulking in its shed because it hadn't got its favourite driver.  Roll on Thomas the Tank Engine.

But its bleak out there in Bradford as you cross from one station to another. I marvel at the great retaining walls that protect the tracks from landfalls.  I marvel at the great Victorian buildings of this civic town.  They tower above me crushing the human spirit and carrying the message it is only money that can build in such style.  We pass the rail arches, last time there were tents housed in these dark holes, and my daughter would not let me take photos because I was so angry about them.  This weekend they seemed empty, but she reckoned they would be back at night.  She and Andrew had come by one night when the food van was there and she said hundreds were there, maybe we could reduce that figure down to a hundred but this is England in the raw. 

Andrew is such a good host ;) food delicious.  The flat overlooks the canal in Shipley, and so one is entertained by cyclists, runners, dog walkers strolling along the path and once I had told Andrew to fill his bird feeder immediately, for the small flock of sparrows that live in the hedge below.

We went to Salt Mill, I have written of it elsewhere, a great cathedral of a place, once dedicated to the thrum of looms.  Wandered round its vast interior and had tea and cakes in its brightly lit (and warm) cafe.  On the ground floor, there is a generous display of art books, I would call them 'coffee table books' to impress one's visitors, and I bought a couple of cards of an artist Simon Palmer, who had a space down there.  Mostly his artwork is about trees and landscape in an individual style.

Ascending from the Bridge - Simon Palmer

It was darkening outside but as went down by the paintings and drawings on the wall there was the most beautiful music.  A choir reverberated from the tall ceilings and it caught the heart, people stopped and just listened.  A magic moment.

10 comments:

  1. Is there still a Hockney exhibition or was that only temporary? I love Salts Mill - it is always inspirational just to wander round and end up in the cafe (especially if it is warm). It is a few years since I wandered round - I no longer have any reason to be down that way.
    Presumably you have heard I have colorectal cancer - I am having 5 days radio therapy to shrink the tumour and then I intend to let things take their course. Don't feel like writing posts at present but shall continue to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pat I am so sorry, just thought you had, like me, gone fishing for a couple of days. I can only wish you well in the treatment and the courage to move past it.
    There are a few of Hockney's paintings around but the main exhibition has gone. There was another exhibition there but I can only describe it as wishy-washy sea paintings, the emphasis being on the colour. My daughter always demands cake on her outings. I must admit tea and cakes (though I don't like cakes very much) comes from the times when as children we would be taken to the restaurant in the centre of Wolverhampton for afternoon tea after school. Well buttered toast and that silver ware, which I always used to think was poisonous to drink from, but sparkling white tablecloths - all gone today.
    I know you won't worry too much about your illness, you have a brave heart to face such things, and I think as we get older we know how to face things.
    All my love Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping for good treatment and a return to hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the narrator of "Wallace and Gromit" might have said, that was a grand day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Y/P there are plans to move there eventually.

      Delete
  5. You needed this day. Pat; how sorry I am to read this news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are all there for Pat Debby. Bringing our small worlds onto the written page.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed reading about your day, but very sorry to read Pat's comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I expect Tasker we will all keep writing for Pat's enjoyment. The Yorkshire Mafia :)

      Delete

Love having comments!