Monday, November 13, 2023

14th November 2023 - Intro

The last post is but a short intro into a large article which I shall type out each day.  I know that one of my grandchildren with his partner will be going to Japan next year, so perhaps I should introduce this article as a history of what Paul achieved in his lifetime. 

I answer Lillie's need to know in which societal bracket we live, or at least how our 'non' wealth is arrived at.  Basically wealth is a fool's paradise in which you just can't own everything and can only drive one car at a time. Aspiration either to do good or follow a career  was the pattern of the time I lived in.  

Paul's background was fairly poor when he got to Japan, for one year he became a monk not mentioned in the article.  Here he starved, mostly living on peanut butter and apples.  The hut in the temple gardens was cold and he had large insects to contend with.  But he persevered, something that you can hardly say of myself. 

I suppose my blog is jottings from what I think about.  During the last few weeks, thoughts have been somewhat distracted from the terrible things which goes on in the world.  I have a view but  shall refrain from saying it.  And like the magpie I have often referred to will still record things that catch the day.  Sadly my sense of the absurd will always be on show, take it that I see the world with a pinch of salt.

As in..... the government choice of new Secretary of State, how does the EDL (English Defence League) far right view a string of government ministers who come from other countries.  This to me, enrolling different ethnicities is perfect justice towards a better world, when we can understand each other there maybe peace.  

11 comments:

  1. Thinking wealth is a tool and how your use it makes the difference in your life and others. It can be a bad thing if you worship it, hoard it or think it is the path to happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the big three in America see it as something else, talking about Musk, Bezos and another who escapes me Tabor. I have never followed Gates but when they married, he and his wife spread their largesse around.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that I can see your blog again, Thelma. Paul's story is so interesting and he did such amazing work.
    I forget how you two met but your life together sounds like a great adventure.
    I don't seem to know enough about the problems in the world today. All I can do is hope for peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never really was going away, that is why I thought 'Going Fishing' signified temporary absence. I met Paul through the internet and poetry on a Prehistoric stone forum.
      Peace will be a long time coming, I wish it was not so.

      Delete
  3. Got here! I have known several who chose to work part time rather than for more and more money. They were interesting and likeable people, but it did not always go down well with their employers because it meant they could not be easily manipulated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got here Tasker. 'Times they are a changing' people can now work at home now, and often get lonely;). But was it the hippy moment when people looked round and said "why the hell do we have to work" The whole role of the employer is getting challenged but then so many things are. My son works from his home on a computer and flies over every two weeks or so to the Isle of Man to the firm he works for.

      Delete
  4. Ships that pass in the night - but some of us - you and me both - managed to encounter a soul mate - in my case two - one after the other. Only we as individuals know just how lucky we have been. Good to have your fishing trip over. Recalling things can be bitter sweet in some ways but very therapeutic in others. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I have noticed in Todmorden Pat is how people remember places and family long gone. From the graveyard group to the old photos and postcards people collect and discuss about.

      Delete
  5. I think that the most xenophobic people I know are the folk who have little (or no) experience with other cultures. Money is interesting too. Both Tim and I came from poor families, yet our takes on money were very different. I think he would have continued until the day he died. It was a bone of contention: how much is enough? In the end, he has decided we have enough. And we do. Peace? Oh I long for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think he would have continued until the day he died". That says it all, though hear I will insert a 'but' he has thoroughly enjoyed the experience of building a house which does indeed cost money, the freedom to do so is much less in this country. I am glad he saw sense though and hopefully others will help with the finishing of the retirement place.
    Perhaps I shouldn't have introduced you to the EDL, it is a minority group that sits on the tail of every march or protest group, not in it for the cause but for the pleasure of fighting in a drunken manner I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your expertise and making the topic so accessible.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!