Saturday, November 4, 2023

4th November 2023

 Yesterday I watched the new 'Shetland' drama with Ashley Jensen taking over Douglas Henshall's role.  Well it is the same old format, bad gangsters from the mainland of Scotland, dead bodies everywhere, scattered over the islands.  I expect the new female star will blend in quite easily with the old background of the show.  A Shetland islander had written a letter though saying how untrue it was to the actual truth of living there.  When ferries and planes were delayed for days because of bad weather.

Article

The wild remote Scottish islands are changing now, heaven forbid there are now second homes and large liners pulling up at the quayside.  And to change the subject slightly I could weep when I see Arctic pleasure liners photographed as a backdrop against beautiful icebergs.

   ------------------------------


"I am unable to speak over the phone due to a serious throat pain caused by laryngitis"

A spam arrived in my email box a couple of days ago, I recognised it instantly, knowing full well this friend who was asking would never ask for money.  The email address had been cleverly doctored by just placing one letter in front of the real address. When I asked what was the favour needed, a second email arrived asking for a gift Apple voucher for £200.  Short shrift answer!



9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the first new Shetland - seemed the same as the old.

    Cruise Liners are damaging Venice too according to the crime fiction by Donna Leon. I'll not be taking a cruise holiday for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are actually living permanently on cruise ships - it takes the hassle out of life Sue.
      The latest Shetland drama seems to have stayed very close to the old formula and of course that was a winner.

      Delete
  2. Tourists- who really wants them? Having been one myself for many years I feel guilty now. But what to do? A huge cruise liner (who on earth would want to spend their holiday with 5000 other people??) moored up in Venice is an eyesore.
    As for scams - I had one about four months ago - and like yours a click meant a plea from "me" for gift vouchers for a "niece* as I was travelling abroad. One friend, very outspoken, replied - here is her reply (verbatim) "F*** off you thieving Bas*****!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was more polite Weaver ;) Andrew says that these people send like a thousand requests out from their phoney email address and probably only get a couple of people to fall for the scam.
    I shouldn't feel guilty about your wandering of the world. Times are different now, more people are wandering abroad but goodness knows why those enormous liners were allowed to be built. Obviously they can hardly weather the strong seas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was brought up in the village of Grantchester and was amused to hear about the series that was set there. Far from solving complicated murder cases our vicar could rarely remember where the vestry keys were and often had to be reminded by the verger when it was Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all started with Miss Marple of course. Cosy English villages and murders. The vicar hardly ever got murdered but there were a lot of bodies found in the graveyard ;)

      Delete
  5. Tourists with too much money, spending it on things to avoid boredom. My grandparents hardly ever left their village, but I don't think they were bored or dissatisfied. OK, we're a family of miseries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose you could say that the facilities for holidaying abroad just weren't around in the 20th century, and of course the money. Then the hotel building began, I went to Torremolinos as a child, it was still an unspoilt village, now it is a holiday venue of modern flats and hotels. I don't think you are a family of miseries, happiness is not a cruise holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. People are so very gullible. I received an e-mail which purported to be from our priest who was away in South America attending the funeral of a loved one who died of Aids. He needed to buy some Apple Play cards for some terminally ill patients. He had promised them, and their lives were so unfortunate that he hated to not keep his word. Could I possibly.... I deleted the e-mail without a second thought. I knew that he was NOT in South America. I had seen him just the previous day. Later that day, I received an e-mail from a friend who said that she had bought him over $500 of gift cards. I was horrified. I explained it was a scam, pointed out the missing 't' in Matthew and suggested that she call him to verify that I was telling her the truth. She did. She was mortified. She had not transferred any information to the scammer, but said wearily, "Well...I've got my Christmas shopping done for the nieces and nephews."

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!