Thursday, August 1, 2024

Reflections




 

 

I shall never get to Machu Picchu, but I really don't want to go, that it exists is enough.  It is another civilisation that has lost its way and become a relic of its own past.  Empty of its inhabitants, tourists flock to wonder at its magic amongst the mountains.  Not understanding the message it is giving out "this too will pass".


Chauvet Cave in France some of the earliest cave drawings

Being in a reflective mood is not good but we are slowly, whether we like it or not, seeing Western civilisation float away.  The good things of course are captured either in music or paintings, the written past.  The individual undertaking to create is always there.  From those early cave paintings of animals we can but quietly try to make our brain wonder at the intelligence of prehistoric man, but forgetting we are no more than that person, just with a dash of technology added.

Now for my rant moment! Who the hell thought A1 into the world, can I believe anything I see on the computer anymore?  That person are they real or a composite figure.  I read about cookery books being written by this robotic nature, plagiarism writ large of the recipes, and auto word correction, slightly gone astray.

And now for my music choice, years ago I loved Gregorian chant, so as I have been writing I been listening to the music below.  One criticism, the bird tweeting along must surely be an artificial add on, and it annoys the gentle tranquility of the music.



Should you ever get the chance, Werner Herzog's film of the Chauvet Cave must be seen.  We saw it at the British Museum and it was breath taking, France is a truly beautiful place with it rivers and limestone escarpments.  I remember at one point there was the skull of a bear laid on a flat rock, almost a religious symbol in the eeriness of the cave.  Of course no one is allowed into the caves, even our breath destroys the surfaces and so the film is a remarkable tribute to the past.
Some not very good captured film.


8 comments:

  1. The simple Gregorian chant in Europe was probably medieval, probably named for Pope Gregory I. Yet there is something magical about the music even now. I am not a Christian, yet I find the (men only?) chant deeply serene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Hels, their voices are slow and melodic, sometimes you hear the same method of deep voices sung in a different manner in Buddhist temples.

      Delete
  2. Was it the 80s or 90s when we listened to and enjoyed Gregorian chant music. I can almost hear one chant in my head, a very popular one at the time, but not enough to research it.

    Yes, now I count things I won't see rather than what I will see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my memory will not go back as far Andrew, I had records, those funny round things that you put on a record player. I spent a whole summer earnings from an archaeological dig on a good machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Machu Picchu was the screen picture on my computer when I turned it on for a few days this past week and now you are mentioning it to! It must want me to pay more attention to it!
    You have had some great adventures in your life, Thelma, and you know so many things about the past that I had never even heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Ellen the turnover of the photo that comes up on your screen when you turn on is always a good surprise.
    Knowing things about the past, not sure about that, I did a lot of studying in archaeology and still have it going through my feeds but there was also a lot of books in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband traveled to Peru several years ago--one of the trips arranged by his twin brother's wife. [By choice, I don't join these expeditions.] He was much impressed by Machu Picchu and by the woven reed 'islands' on Lake Titicaca.
    AI: hasn't technology gone too far? Anyone with a smidgeon of expertise can manipulate photos, sound clips, and create the many malevolent 'memes' and bogus claims that proliferate. Surely we are wise to be skeptical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as AI is concerned Sharon I would be asking for restrictions and some sort of policing of what we can actually do with it. Your husband was lucky to see it, presumably you have to walk a very steep path to get there.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!