Sunday, March 4, 2018

Jottings

Favorite Words; My unconscious creeps in here, could that be blogs? but for the moment I will stick with Gary Snyder

Clearing the mind and sliding in

to that created space


a web of waters streaming over rocks,

air misty but not raining,


seeing this land from a boat on a lake


or a broad slow river,


coasting by.





Yesterday we watched 'Civilisation'  on BBC Iplayer with Simon Scharma, as it started at the beginning chapter of mankind we were into delicately carved goddesses and cave paintings.  It brought back memories of going to the British Museum to see 'Art in the Ice Age. Also Werner Herzog  film Cave of Dreams about the Chauvet  Caves.


The Chauvet horses, you can see them in our Dartmoor ponies still, the first thing I read about these creatures of how they were driven over the cliffs in France for food, and yet the art work captures them with such fondness.


There is total magic in these cave drawings the line of time at least 30,000 years that lies between us and the artists is immense and yet the heart catches the moment in time with ease

So where did the next two links come from, this is 'chain of thought'  Snyder's poem about the three teenagers found by archaeologists started it off, and on hunting through my blog found other people of interest, and other words;)

Under the Hills near the Moravia River



She lay there midst
Mammoth, reindeer, and wolf bones;
Diadem of fox teeth round her brow
Ocher under her hips
26,640 plus or minus 110 years before "now".
Burnt reindeer-pelvis bone bits
in her mouth,
Bones of two men lying by her side,
one each side.


For instance there is Ruth-Fuller-Sasaki, a rich American Lady becoming a Buddhist and then there is this..  the first vow is important to me, I cannot watch an animal death without feeling strong emotions.  Some days transport lorries with sheep, presumably for the slaughter house go by, and my heart sinks.  We kill animals for food, the beautiful drawings on the Chauvet Caves tell us that and to a degree I accept it but not the pain and terror inflicted.

As for the snow it slowly shrinks into a grey death, with watery snow still falling from the sky.


















11 comments:

  1. We were livestock hauliers. I used to be able to map the locations of slaughter houses in the UK when I was 10. I rode with my brother in my school holidays all over southern England. I thought you would like to hear that! The sun is shining today and blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Rachel, honesty is a fine thing but perhaps some things are best left.;) You note by the way I accept it as part of human culture and all I ask is compassion in the killing.....No sun here, just grey damp sleety weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed mapping the routes and riding across the country with him. I had an interesting childhood.

      Delete
  3. I watched the first episode yesterday...the Minoan art was extraordinary. Years ago I was lucky enough to see some of the original cave paintings in France. It was the handprint and the link back in time to our ancestors which made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is because suddenly you realise that only time separates you, the first time I came across other paintings, I think it was the Spanish bison paintings, working in a charity many years ago and someone had printed them and we sold them.

      Delete
  4. I like to think that the early people who painted the horses with such care and reverance did so to honour the spirits of the animals that provided them with sustenance and a means to survive. They're lovely paintings. I discovered recently that there are some wonderful ancient sights not far from me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being in France there are plenty of places to explore Yarrow, and you are probably right. Ancestor worship and bringing the stories down through the generations would have taught them respect for the spirits of the animals.

      Delete
  5. Any indication of early man is just so moving isn't it? It is a real contact with that age. I had a 3000 year old axe head which my father in law picked up in one of our fields. Holding it was sheer magic. When I left the farm I gave it to the farmer's favourite niece she had always been in awe of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something magical about the old tools that prehistoric man used Pat, whether it was cleaning skins, shaping stones, or grinding seed, they had functional technology.

      Delete
  6. It is the Exmoor ponies which I think have genetic links to the Przewalski horses. They certainly share the mealy muzzles and toad eye. I remember when we studied Cave Art at Uni that it was said that the animal paintings were done from life, but death. It was something in the angle of the view? I would say not all paintings - some very much done from life.

    I agree with Yarrow's comment about treating the animals killed for food with reverence and respect and spirituality. Keith speaks of Ghurkas killing bullocks in a semi-religious way (he was in Borneo).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw your petition about caged pigs, literally wearing cages on their body, how can anyone do that? Respect for animals has to be fought for and there is a new growing awareness I think of not eating meat everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!